Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 52,392 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

shattered my S4 screen

Tip us?

Powell730
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusWulf View Post
I wasn't aware of the $10 EDGE plan discount. I left before that started, I guess.

As for where to buy the phone, Amazon or Costco are generally the best prices, but sometimes bestbuy has a good sale going on. ($100 blue M7 the day it was released), I would never buy a phone from Verizon's corporate store or website.

The Verizon phone is unlocked by default. there is nothing the user needs to do. it's Verizon policy (yay!). As for the OTA upgrade, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, from what I've read, but I would just root the phone and flash the rooted update, anyway, to be safe.
Since when does Verizon release a phone unlocked from factory?! That's shocking. 👍👍

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

raichur0xx0rz
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell730 View Post
Just saw this on the Verizon site. The store I went to last night while working had a 250 price tag.

I'm still not sure what to do lol... I feel like if I really like a phone and I'm not ready to get rid of it after 12 months and keep it then I'm throwing money away...

The Verizon variant is completely unlockable right? Is there any ota upgrade I should avoid out of the box if I decide to get it?

I think the M8 should be good for a long time, as most devices are, we just tend to want to upgrade/switch devices when the new one comes out =\

If you don't want to use up the upgrade, have you tried looking on Swappa for a used device?

** Factory unlock meaning for the SIM, you will still need to root and S-OFF on your own. Just to clarify haha

brandogg
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell730 View Post
Since when does Verizon release a phone unlocked from factory?! That's shocking. 👍👍

All Verizon LTE phones are factory unlocked when you buy them. Been this way for a couple of years.

TidusWulf
Old
Thanks Meter 12
about 2 years, now. I think Verizon had to hit a certain population coverage percentage for LTE and it became mandatory by some FCC rule when they purchased the spectrum. sad that other carriers aren't also tied to this.

Powell730
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
I think the M8 should be good for a long time, as most devices are, we just tend to want to upgrade/switch devices when the new one comes out =\

If you don't want to use up the upgrade, have you tried looking on Swappa for a used device?

** Factory unlock meaning for the SIM, you will still need to root and S-OFF on your own. Just to clarify haha
Ohh. Yeah I was referring to the bootloader not sim lol. I actually looked at swappA last night. Good deals but I'd rather use the upgrade as opposed to that site. I really just need to decide if I want to keep the phone for two years or buy it with the intent to upgrade again in ~1 year.

vdChild
Old
Thanks Meter 48
i believe amazon has it for 99 with 2 year, and OTA is safe, i temprooted -> soff'd; took OTA then xposed/customized.

as for swappa, site is completely legit, have bought and sold on there. just read descriptions/pics and know what you are getting.