Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I got a very poor battery life. What should I do?

Tip us?

xxjack3dxx
Old
(Last edited by xxjack3dxx; 13th May 2014 at 12:34 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default I got a very poor battery life. What should I do?

Hi everybody. I know that's another topic about battery life but I really need some advice. I have the canadian S5 model (Snapdragon). Since I got it, I never got good battery life. My usage is only net browsing, text messaging, facebook and a bit of game. And i'm always on 4g. I give you a picture of my battery life. Sometimes, I only got 2 hours screens on. For me it's not normal but it is?

Thank you very much

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Free mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399980592757.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2741258   Click image for larger version

Name:	1399980605635.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2741259  

cooza
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjack3dxx View Post
Hi everybody. I know that's another topic about battery life but I really need some advice. I have the canadian S5 model (Snapdragon). Since I got it, I never got good battery life. My usage is only net browsing, text messaging, facebook and a bit of game. And i'm always on 4g. I give you a picture of my battery life. Sometimes, I only got 2 hours screens on. For me it's not normal but it is?

Thank you very much

I went into applications manager and turned off all the extra stuff and bloat I dont use or need. Since we dont have root thats the best available option without uninstalling system apps you dont want. I also have ART turned on in General/Developer Options?Select runtime system. It makes the phone a bit more snappier and a bit more RAM effectiant friendly. Some say it doesnt do anything to battery life but since Ive had it on I do notice a small increase in battery life. I think it comes from the better RAM usage.

pennywisdom
Old
Thanks Meter 4
What cooza said:

In addition, I like to install a battery monitoring app such as GSam Battery Monitor. It gives you a better per-app breakdown of battery usage. My poor battery life was all Android System so turning off built-in apps helped me there.
My Smartphone history with AT&T:
January 2005: Audiovox SMT5600 aka HTC Typhoon
June 2006: Cingular 8125 aka HTC Wizard
October 2007: AT&T Tilt aka HTC Kaiser
June 2009: AT&T Fuze aka HTC Raphael
November 2009: iPhone 3GS
July 2010: iPhone 4
October 2011: iPhone 4S
July 2012: Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSDPA+
May 2013: Samsung Galaxy S4 4G/LTE
April 2014: Samsung Galaxy S5 4G/LTE

sk8trix
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:

Thank you very much

Replace it under warranty ATT has always replaced my batteries for free under warranty. They even offer to replace the whole phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app
AT&T and Sprint Galaxy S III Quantum ROM & Kernel
AT&T Galaxy S 4 Liquid Smooth ROM 4.4.4
Nexus 7 LTE (2013) Carbon ROM 4.4.2
AT&T Galaxy S 5 Stock 4.4.2
Galaxy Gear Null ROM
Sprint Galaxy Tab 4 SM-T237P
Follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm7...sQKpy3kNfmYIxA

xxjack3dxx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I actually installed gsam apps. Yesterday, my battery life was a bit better. Last night, I've plug my phone and I unplug it when the battery has been full charge. I only use it for 1 hours and after I've go to sleep. And then check my battery after the night. Seriously I don't know what to do

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400081075168.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2743567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1400081084685.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2743568  

C0derbear
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
I only use it for 1 hours and after I've go to sleep. And then check my battery after the night. Seriously I don't know what to do
do you have Location services enabled?

By disabling that i found a few apps that were using it that surprised me, while the phone was otherwise sleeping, reducing those apps significantly helped. Leaving location service disabled helped the most.

yoonus
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
I actually installed gsam apps. Yesterday, my battery life was a bit better. Last night, I've plug my phone and I unplug it when the battery has been full charge. I only use it for 1 hours and after I've go to sleep. And then check my battery after the night. Seriously I don't know what to do

Click on the graph and it will show you more details.
I see, a constant blue line in your picture.
Is something keeping your phone awake?

natefish
Old
Thanks Meter 81
What game is it? Have you compared a day without gaming or browsing to a day with it?

On the battery monitoring app advice, be careful. Stay away from ones that offer to control the phone. I've seen and read that those kind can make matters worse on the S5 and the one I tried made my battery got (weird, but true).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app