Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Chromecast N7 2013 and mobile tethering.

OP mr2324jgf

16th May 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wichita, Kansas
Thanks Meter: 191

565 posts
More
My setup:
No ISP, using T-Mobile Unlimited 4G LTE as my main source for interwebs at home. Proxy for tethering = Unlimited Tether.
Chromecast goes through tethering as does my Nexus 7 2013.

My goal: Stream ANY video file from my tablet and possibly stream/mirror from the tablet using unorthodox methods. Without a laptop present.
My idea: Complete Linux Installer, Ubuntu 13.10 with Chrome Browser with java and VideoStream extension.

What I have tested so far:
1) Chromium will not support videostream, or vice versa, I do not currently know if I can force install the extension.
2) Cannot install chrome using traditional apt-get command as it will not let me load the repository. Getting a GPG error.
3) Cannot install chrome using .deb file because I can't even force architecture to allow it to run since i'm on armhf.
4) Can't install wine ppa/wine to emulate windows chrome to allow extension to be installed.

Conclusion: It probably can't be done, but I'm only so brilliant and there may be ways to do things I am unaware of.

This isn't a request for help so much as me explaining what I've done so far to escape the chromecast from being tethered to a PC for full funcionality.

Here's hoping the videostream team will make an android app and eliminate half of my battle, here's hoping we get the ability to stream/playback more file types natively one day. For now i'll stick to stream-tv and not complain for the price.
17th May 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
What tablet do you have?

The limiting factor isn't so much what the tablet's running rather than the horsepower needed to convert incompatible media to Chromecast-compatible format.

If you can screen mirror your N7 (currently requires development Chromecast in Spain or rooted Chromecast running latest Eureka-ROM, and compatible device to mirror - I believe N7 2013 fits that), then it might just work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread