Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,346 Members 47,150 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rattle

Tip us?

typxyt
Old
(Last edited by typxyt; 4th May 2014 at 05:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Default Rattle

I just started noticing a rattle when my device shakes or I tap on it. I haven't noticed any problems except the annoyance. I didn't pay $650 for a baby rattle. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: mod please move to Q&A thread. My apologies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

typxyt
Old
(Last edited by typxyt; 4th May 2014 at 08:41 PM.) Reason: Highlighting
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
So, after two conversations with Samsung Chat, a visit to Target Mobile, and a stop by the Samsung guys at Best Buy, I've learned we all have $650 Baby Rattles and it is by design.

Quote:
General Info
Chat start time May 4, 2014 3:11:52 PM EST
Chat end time May 4, 2014 3:37:37 PM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:25:44
Operator Nathan
Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Nathan'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK112560761186X
Nathan: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Aaron: Yes, I talked with an Annie earlier and after running through some troubleshooting steps recommended I go back to the place where I bought my S5 (SM-G900V) to have it exchanged because I'm within 30 days of purchase.
Aaron: It is making a rattle sound with regular usage.
Aaron: She had me remove the cover, battery, and then wipe cache.
Nathan: Hello Aaron.
Aaron: I took it to Target mobile and they only have a 14 exchange policy and would not honor Samsung's warranty and suggestion by Annie.
Nathan: Please let me know if you have the previous chat ID with you.
Aaron: I then went to a Samsung kiosk in my local Best Buy. They tried to contact Target Mobile after doing their testing but said they couldn't do anything to help.
Aaron: I do not.
Aaron: I asked for the transcript to be sent to me but I haven't received it.
Aaron: The samsung people at best buy asked me to contact you guys again for a replacement.
Nathan: I would like to inform you that we don't have the option to send the transcript to your mail. You would have the option to send the copy to you while filing the exit survey.
Aaron: Yes, I did the survey and entered my email address
Nathan: Please let me know the exact issue you are experiencing on the device.
Aaron: Their is a rattling noise with regular use.
Aaron: Sounds like something loose on the motherboard.
Aaron: The samsung people at best buy did everything they could do and were impressed it was something internal on the motherboard
Nathan: I understand.
Nathan: Let me check the details for you.
Aaron: ok
Nathan: I will try my best to assist you.
Aaron: Thanks.
Nathan: You're welcome.
Nathan: May I know if the phone is dropped or has any physical or liquid damages?
Aaron: None
Nathan: Thank you.
Nathan: May I place the chat on hold for 3 minutes, while I gather the information on your request?
Aaron: ok
Nathan: Thank you for being on hold.
Aaron: No problem
Nathan: I have checked the details, there is no issue with the device. It is the Camera Lens sound which is designed in that way.
Aaron: It is designed to rattle?
Aaron: The store models don't have this sound that I've noticed. The samsung guys were surprised by the noise.
Nathan: It is the product designed. I have also checked in my device I'm also experiencing the same sound.
Aaron: I have $650 baby rattle?
Aaron: It is annoying. You just now noticed it on yours?
Nathan: Yes, I understand your concern.
Aaron: So, Samsung is saying this is a normal attribute of the design. Is this correct?
Nathan: You will get the sound when you shake the device.
Aaron: Just holding it taping on the screed is when I get the sound.
Aaron: So, this sound is on every S5, right?
Nathan: Yes, It is on every S5 device. I have checked in two of our devices.

Aaron: That's horrible.
Aaron: I'm not very happy about this.
Aaron: I guess Samsung isn't fixing it though.
Nathan: I understand your concern, we always appreciate customers who take their time out to give us their valuable feedback. I'll pass what you've said onto our management team.
Aaron: I can see the memes starting now about baby rattles. Samsung will love that.
Aaron: Thanks for the added tech specs not mentioned anywhere.
Aaron: Sorry, I know it isn't you personally.
Aaron: Thanks Nathan.
Nathan: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Nathan: Can I help you with anything else?
Aaron: Nope.
Aaron: Have a great day.
Nathan: If you are looking for more details on the functionality of a product or would like to find answers to some of the questions, visit us at SamsungSimulator for an interactive review of some of our Samsung products. Great to save to favorites…easy access to simulators!!
Nathan: We thank you for your inquiry today and hope your experience with Samsung tech support has been a pleasant one. In an effort to continuously improve our service, we request you to take a minute and complete a quick survey.Please click blue 'X' button on the upper right corner and you will be provided with the survey to complete.
info: Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1761
I find it utterly hilarious that you were advised to clear the cache.

Brilliant troubleshooting.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quantumalpha
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Damnit. Mine rattles too. Never would have noticed if not for this thread. Now I'm bothered by it!
The Following User Says Thank You to quantumalpha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

typxyt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack View Post
I find it utterly hilarious that you were advised to clear the cache.

Brilliant troubleshooting.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW
Yeah, I explained to the first Samsung person clearing the cache is pointless but I went along with it anyway. She then tried to get me to factory reset. I declined to do that.

elliwigy
Old
Thanks Meter 654
i didnt notice until reading this thread.. mine is only by shaking though

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

Jeeab
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by typxyt View Post
I just started noticing a rattle when my device shakes or I tap on it. I haven't noticed any problems except the annoyance. I didn't pay $650 for a baby rattle. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: mod please move to Q&A thread. My apologies.

I've heard the rattle is the disengaged auto focus sensor. Open your camera app and see if the rattle persists.
Phones:
Microsoft Kin Two
Motorola Droid Razr
Samsung Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy S5

Tablets:
Herotab X6D
Lenovo Ideapad K1

Asus Nexus 7 (2012)

typxyt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeab View Post
I've heard the rattle is the disengaged auto focus sensor. Open your camera app and see if the rattle persists.
Yes, that does stop the rattling, but it is annoying. I mentioned the camera issue to the local Samsung guys at best buy but they hadn't heard of the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to typxyt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thuddome
Old
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by typxyt View Post
So, after two conversations with Samsung Chat, a visit to Target Mobile, and a stop by the Samsung guys at Best Buy, I've learned we all have $650 Baby Rattles and it is by design.
Mine rattles when I hold it up to my ear. I did notice if you open the camera app it stops.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84121/gs4sigsm.jpg