Tested, Foxfi USB tether works

Search This thread

gogodj

Jun 8, 2009
Bay Area
Hey, did it work for you ?? I have to put my S5 back into the box and I am using S4 now :(....I have to have Tethering working to be able to use S5 and I am really tempted to retire my S4 :((((.

Has anyone found any workaround yet ? I have been looking around everywhere..and couldn't find anything that would work for ATT S5....

I did that and am still having issues with it. I can get it to work for about 20 seconds after restarting it.

gogodj

Jun 8, 2009
Bay Area
Hi, Would you care to explain more, how is it working for you. I have tried FoxFi and it doesn't work on my ATT S5 with my unlimited data plan. Do you also have a data plan on which tethering is not allowed otherwise. keep in mind that on shared data plans ATT allows tethering as well, i guess...
I am using Dalvik and Foxfi works fine.:confused:

Last edited:

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
Hi, Would you care to explain more, how is it working for you. I have tried FoxFi and it doesn't work on my ATT S5 with my unlimited data plan. Do you also have a data plan on which tethering is not allowed otherwise. keep in mind that on shared data plans ATT allows tethering as well, i guess...

Try USB tethering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app

Just getting my new S5 up to speed. Used Fast WiFi Tether - Free for wireless tethering on my previous S2. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T but not shared. Got the blocking message when I tried to activate it. FoxFi USB is working fine but wireless gives me the blocking message. No biggie, not a big deal to connect USB until somebody comes up with a workaround.

jayv81

Mar 30, 2011
Lafayette, La
I used the USB tether the other day and got a notification from att telling me to stop by the end of the month or they will automatically enroll me into a tethering plan. And I would be unable to switch back to my unlimited plan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm on MEW1 and wifi tether (via Foxfi or built-in) isn't working.

Anxious for a workaround. AT&T told me the tethering is not available on MEW1 on the GS5.

william58

Mar 31, 2011
Tacoma
www.moskovita-photography.com
Most of the AT&T share plans include tethering when in the past tethering was only for certain plans or extra. So maybe it depends on the data plan? If your plan includes it, you shouldn't even need Foxfi.

What would the bill say if I have tethering included? I have a 15GB shared plan with 3 family members.
I have been using PdaNet/Foxfi usb tethering and it works great.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
What would the bill say if I have tethering included? I have a 15GB shared plan with 3 family members.
I have been using PdaNet/Foxfi usb tethering and it works great.

I'm not sure if it will be listed on your bill or not, I'm paperless. However, most, if not all of the recent family share plan deals include tethering. You should be able to look it up online and see the exact details of your account and plan. I know it is listed with my plan under my online account details.

This is directly from AT&T's website:

"About AT&T Mobile Share plans

AT&T Mobile Share plans provide both individuals and groups with value, flexibility, and simplicity. We're pleased to offer two types of Mobile Share plans, Mobile Share Value with Unlimited Talk & Text****, and if you don't need voice services choose Mobile Share - Data.
If you have multiple devices on your account, you'll have the flexibility to share data ranging from 300MB to 50GB with up 10 devices per Mobile Share group. If you only have one device on your account, use all the data yourself. If you need to accommodate more than 10 devices, you can add more than one Mobile Share group to your account. Mobile Hotspot is also included at no additional cost, which allows you to use compatible devices as Wi-Fi hotspots."

Last edited:

Opie Knievel

Dec 18, 2012
Brodhead, KY
I'm almost positive that it depends on your plan. I have the mobile share 4GB and my Wi-Fi hotspot works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
Is there any way to USB tether one device to another (I don't even think I have a cable for that)?

Like if I want to use USB tether for connecting my GS5 to provide data to my old GS2.

Irritant4

Dec 9, 2005
I'm almost positive that it depends on your plan. I have the mobile share 4GB and my Wi-Fi hotspot works.

I hate to see you guys struggle with this.

I had a 900A at one time (returned it once I found that the bootloader was locked). When I tried with 900A the built-in app would check my account every single time and kill my tethering. After I returned my 900A (AT&T) I bought a 900T (TMO). Unlocked it, rooted it, rom'd it. Tethering works once again. I'm still an AT&T customer since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan but I'm technically using a T-Mobile phone. Everything works, including the almighty tethering.

Opie Knievel

Dec 18, 2012
Brodhead, KY
I hate to see you guys struggle with this.

I had a 900A at one time (returned it once I found that the bootloader was locked). When I tried with 900A the built-in app would check my account every single time and kill my tethering. After I returned my 900A (AT&T) I bought a 900T (TMO). Unlocked it, rooted it, rom'd it. Tethering works once again. I'm still an AT&T customer since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan but I'm technically using a T-Mobile phone. Everything works, including the almighty tethering.

So, like I was saying it depends on the plan. On a stock 900A the phone sees that your plan doesn't allow tethering and stops you from doing it. If you have a plan that allows it the phone sees that and allows you to tether. If you're using a rooted T-Mobile phone on AT&T you're not under the same restrictions because your phone isn't stock and therefore doesn't have to play by their rules.

Kael ruch

Feb 5, 2014
Dhaka
I am able to connect my laptop via wifi as well. I did nothing different, just enabled hotspot as usual

tchanta

Jul 14, 2007
DC
Awesome

I figured it out. Under developer options change system info to ART and you can turn on the tether/hotspot on with FoxFi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Really don't know how to thank you. I changed to ART and FoxFi started working on my AT&T unrooted S5.

Update: it worked once, and then went back checking the Mobile HotSpot subscription and coming back with error. Everytime I change system info to ART or Dalvik, the hotspot works briefly. It's like there is some app, checking regularly to block the hotspot. I am using an unlocked G900-A on Cricket.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I couldn't get WiFi to work, but USB tether works great