Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,686 Members 37,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tested, Foxfi USB tether works

Tip us?

scott14719
Old
(Last edited by scott14719; 28th April 2014 at 02:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by william58 View Post
What would the bill say if I have tethering included? I have a 15GB shared plan with 3 family members.
I have been using PdaNet/Foxfi usb tethering and it works great.
I'm not sure if it will be listed on your bill or not, I'm paperless. However, most, if not all of the recent family share plan deals include tethering. You should be able to look it up online and see the exact details of your account and plan. I know it is listed with my plan under my online account details.

This is directly from AT&T's website:

"About AT&T Mobile Share plans

AT&T Mobile Share plans provide both individuals and groups with value, flexibility, and simplicity. We're pleased to offer two types of Mobile Share plans, Mobile Share Value with Unlimited Talk & Text****, and if you don't need voice services choose Mobile Share - Data.
If you have multiple devices on your account, you'll have the flexibility to share data ranging from 300MB to 50GB with up 10 devices per Mobile Share group. If you only have one device on your account, use all the data yourself. If you need to accommodate more than 10 devices, you can add more than one Mobile Share group to your account. Mobile Hotspot is also included at no additional cost, which allows you to use compatible devices as Wi-Fi hotspots."
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.

Opie Knievel
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I'm almost positive that it depends on your plan. I have the mobile share 4GB and my Wi-Fi hotspot works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

speckledpig
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Is there any way to USB tether one device to another (I don't even think I have a cable for that)?

Like if I want to use USB tether for connecting my GS5 to provide data to my old GS2.
My XDA History:
Samsung Galaxy S5 - at&t - Stock
Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 - Resurrection Remix KitKat
Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 - Revolution ROM
HTC Rhodium (at&t Tilt 2) - Android (FRX07) - Decommissioned
HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525) - Decommissioned

Boot animations --- Who cares!??!?!

Irritant4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie Knievel View Post
I'm almost positive that it depends on your plan. I have the mobile share 4GB and my Wi-Fi hotspot works.

I hate to see you guys struggle with this.

I had a 900A at one time (returned it once I found that the bootloader was locked). When I tried with 900A the built-in app would check my account every single time and kill my tethering. After I returned my 900A (AT&T) I bought a 900T (TMO). Unlocked it, rooted it, rom'd it. Tethering works once again. I'm still an AT&T customer since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan but I'm technically using a T-Mobile phone. Everything works, including the almighty tethering.

Opie Knievel
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irritant4 View Post
I hate to see you guys struggle with this.

I had a 900A at one time (returned it once I found that the bootloader was locked). When I tried with 900A the built-in app would check my account every single time and kill my tethering. After I returned my 900A (AT&T) I bought a 900T (TMO). Unlocked it, rooted it, rom'd it. Tethering works once again. I'm still an AT&T customer since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan but I'm technically using a T-Mobile phone. Everything works, including the almighty tethering.
So, like I was saying it depends on the plan. On a stock 900A the phone sees that your plan doesn't allow tethering and stops you from doing it. If you have a plan that allows it the phone sees that and allows you to tether. If you're using a rooted T-Mobile phone on AT&T you're not under the same restrictions because your phone isn't stock and therefore doesn't have to play by their rules.

Kael ruch
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I am able to connect my laptop via wifi as well. I did nothing different, just enabled hotspot as usual

william58
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwj5279955 View Post
I couldn't get WiFi to work, but USB tether works great

No need for WiFi or Hotspot for me as I've used PdaNet (now FoxFi) for a few years now.
Works great before and still does. Why fix something that isn't broke.
{Previous Phones} Motorola Razor - Sidekick - Samsung Blackjack II Red - Blackberry Storm -Backflip - iPhone 4G - Sony Experia X10 - Samsung Captivate - Dell Streak 5 - Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy S3
{Current Phone} Samsung Galaxy S5