Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 54,133 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Transferring images from DSLR to Tablet, how do you do it?

Tip us?

wgilles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 418
Camera Transferring images from DSLR to Tablet, how do you do it?

I use to have an iPad and used their camera connection kit to transfer photos from my DSLR for some on-the-fly editing. I was wondering what options are out there for this tablet. My DSLR uses CF cards if that makes any difference.
LG G2 - VS980 - XDABBEB's VS98024A v1.2.1
LG G Pad 8.3 - Mahdi ROM - 4.4.2
Gilles Photography - My Portfolio
My Video Game Theme Zooper Thread

Subtleone
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
I use to have an iPad and used their camera connection kit to transfer photos from my DSLR for some on-the-fly editing. I was wondering what options are out there for this tablet. My DSLR uses CF cards if that makes any difference.
I am guessing you are not using RAW files, since the poor tablet will be seriously underpowered to do genuine work, plus there is no way to properly color-calibrate the device, making retouching mostly pointless.

With that said, get a USB card reader and a cable to connect, and you should be good to go:

Phone - LG G2

ROM - OptimusRs Pro 2 Rom For LG G2 V4.3

Tablet - LG G Pad 8.3

ROM - V50018a (leaked KitKat) with improved gamma values
The Following User Says Thank You to Subtleone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tachikoma_kun
Old
Thanks Meter 62
USB OTG (On The Go) lead and just connect it straight to your DSLR's USB cable, or a Compact Flash reader.

In the UK you can get USB OTG leads from Poundland, unsurprisingly for 1 so they shouldn't be expensive elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tachikoma_kun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wgilles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtleone View Post
I am guessing you are not using RAW files, since the poor tablet will be seriously underpowered to do genuine work, plus there is no way to properly color-calibrate the device, making retouching mostly pointless.

With that said, get a USB card reader and a cable to connect, and you should be good to go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma_kun View Post
USB OTG (On The Go) lead and just connect it straight to your DSLR's USB cable, or a Compact Flash reader.

In the UK you can get USB OTG leads from Poundland, unsurprisingly for 1 so they shouldn't be expensive elsewhere.
Correct, I shoot RAW, but when I know I will be putting some on the tablet I do RAW+JPEG.

Thanks for the tips guys, I found the USB OTG on a few sites for about 2 bucks. Good stuff
LG G2 - VS980 - XDABBEB's VS98024A v1.2.1
LG G Pad 8.3 - Mahdi ROM - 4.4.2
Gilles Photography - My Portfolio
My Video Game Theme Zooper Thread

Nathanation
Old
Thanks Meter 72
I use a usb otg adaptor and an app called RAWDROID to view raw files, the gpad has no problem handling the larger files for me.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

NEXUS 4 rooted Stock 4.3, Franco kernel.
HP TOUCHPAD 32gb CM10.1
HTC EVO 3D GSM 32gb Stock ICS (dead digitizer)

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathanation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EnergyUK
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm currently waiting to get my LG G-Pad (was on a budget for a birthday present and this tablet was going cheap and it looks a nice device! It's sitting staring at me until the 12th!) but I was hoping to use some of the functionality that I had on the Toshiba Folio. If it works it might be useful for you too!

I connect my Canon DSLR to the tablet via USB and then use http://dslrcontroller.com/ to take remote control of the camera (I have a 10m usb cable I use so I can place the camera near a bird bath or something). Pictures then get downloaded to the tablet automatically. Then if I want a rough mock-up of the picture I open the jpg version in Photoshop Touch.

Doesn't replace a decent, proper configured workstation, but it's quite good fun!
So if you have a canon it's quite a fun way to transfer pictures to the tablet. Not sure if it works on GPad. Hope so!

terry_mccann
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nice one. Did not know there was a 10 m USB lead....thought they end at 4+ meters. Can you post a link to which one you have please?