Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,672 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Condensation under camera

Tip us?

mujj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Condensation under camera

Hi, yesterday night I used my phone underwater to test it out. Both my flaps were sealed and nothing else on the phone was wrong. After I removed the phone from water the speakers were a bit dull and the headphone jack wasn't working. I thought it just needed to dry so I went to bed.

This morning both the speakers and the headphone jack work fine, but when I went to take a picture, I realised it was very foggy. I tuned it around to check and there is a circle of condensation under the glass covering the camera. What do I do? Does that mean wate has gotten in? And will this condensation disappear or not?

Envious_Data
Old
Thanks Meter 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujj View Post
Hi, yesterday night I used my phone underwater to test it out. Both my flaps were sealed and nothing else on the phone was wrong. After I removed the phone from water the speakers were a bit dull and the headphone jack wasn't working. I thought it just needed to dry so I went to bed.

This morning both the speakers and the headphone jack work fine, but when I went to take a picture, I realised it was very foggy. I tuned it around to check and there is a circle of condensation under the glass covering the camera. What do I do? Does that mean wate has gotten in? And will this condensation disappear or not?
This sounds like a device fault

The Z2 is ip68 Certified (68= resistance against submersion blah total water resistance 1.5M for 1.5Hrs)

If you still have a warenty, have your device replaced. It seems water may have leaked in elsewhere.
Devices:
Sony Xperia Z2

Roms:
Envi-Rom Z2/S

TheOnlyIntruder
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data View Post
This sounds like a device fault

The Z2 is ip68 Certified (68= resistance against submersion blah total water resistance 1.5M for 1.5Hrs)

If you still have a warenty, have your device replaced. It seems water may have leaked in elsewhere.
Water damage isn't covered under warranty, might be an insurance jobby.
Phone History: -
Ericsson A1018s > Ericsson T20e > Nokia 3510i > Motorola V600 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K800i > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 > HTC Desire > HTC One X > Sony Xperia Z2 (Current)

Envious_Data
Old
Thanks Meter 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyIntruder View Post
Water damage isn't covered under warranty, might be an insurance jobby.
Well then, silly warranty for a waterproof phone

Then again I'm not surprised $800 for the damnable thing

Try getting a replacement
Devices:
Sony Xperia Z2

Roms:
Envi-Rom Z2/S

raducanmihai
Old
Thanks Meter 29
The problem with water damage and warranty is that there is no way to prove that you didn't leave the flaps open.
The Following User Says Thank You to raducanmihai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mujj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
When the phone cools down, the camera clears up. But when it gets used for a few minutes, the cloudiness comes back. I'm within my 14 day replacement policy for O2, so I'm going to try and get a replacement.

deepflash
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Well physically I would say the internal stuff heats up and the glas of the camera is staying colder so the water condensates there.
I would try to return it.

raducanmihai
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Try heating up the camera (4K) with all flaps open. This should allow any moisture to get out.

LotoTutu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
1.Try to go to Sony service center for help. If they refuse to free repair or replace, then you can try to dry it by yourself.
2.You can try to put it into rice. The rice can dry your phone if there is slight water in it.
But it hard to know how much water remain.
3.Do not use your phone before you dry the phone. If the water had leaked into inner and you forced to run the phone, the motherboard will be damaged.
4. Teardown of your phone is the best way to dry the phone and save the motherboard if the water had leaked into inner.

numskull
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotoTutu View Post
1.Try to go to Sony service center for help. If they refuse to free repair or replace, then you can try to dry it by yourself.
2.You can try to put it into rice. The rice can dry your phone if there is slight water in it.
But it hard to know how much water remain.
3.Do not use your phone before you dry the phone. If the water had leaked into inner and you forced to run the phone, the motherboard will be damaged.
4. Teardown of your phone is the best way to dry the phone and save the motherboard if the water had leaked into inner.
in regards to number 2 and 4...

2) this is a complete waste of time, unless your phone is dissassembled, rice is obviously very absorbent, but it needs to come into contact with something to absorb,

4) I would normally reccomend this, but as its manufactured as waterproof, if you open it up obviously the (very vague) warranty is lost, on top of that no matter how well you put it back together, you wont know if its still water resistant or not....... well not until its too late anyway