Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 51,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Remove google now launcher

Tip us?

Johannski
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q]Remove google now launcher

Hey everybody,

I want to get rid of a bit of Google's stuff. I installed CyanogenMod on my phone (Sony Xperia Go, but I guess that's not too important) and afterwards GAPS. This changed the launcher to the google now launcher. I decided to just delete it, which got me in trouble, the wasn't able to boot anymore. This makes sense, due to the fact, that it was my launcher, I didn't think much about what could happen, when I deleted it.

So here is my question. I started fresh, and installed GAPS once again. This time I also installed ADW.Launcher and set it up as my default launcher (See attachment). Is it now save for me, to remove Google Now Launcher, or does it do something else, which is critical for running my OS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2747140  

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannski View Post
Hey everybody,

I want to get rid of a bit of Google's stuff. I installed CyanogenMod on my phone (Sony Xperia Go, but I guess that's not too important) and afterwards GAPS. This changed the launcher to the google now launcher. I decided to just delete it, which got me in trouble, the wasn't able to boot anymore. This makes sense, due to the fact, that it was my launcher, I didn't think much about what could happen, when I deleted it.

So here is my question. I started fresh, and installed GAPS once again. This time I also installed ADW.Launcher and set it up as my default launcher (See attachment). Is it now save for me, to remove Google Now Launcher, or does it do something else, which is critical for running my OS?
You'll be fine to remove. I actually don't know why it wouldn't boot when you removed it the first time. Your phone can certainly run without a launcher (just makes it really difficult to get around lol).
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ? (One+1 maybe...)
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Arucarde
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hey everybody,

Since you already selected ADW as default probably it will boot just as usual, so yeah I think itīs safe. At least I have done the same in the past xD

hnkotnis
Old
Thanks Meter 418
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Quote:
Hey everybody,

No problem. If you have ADW set as default, you can safely uninstall Google Now Launcher. After reboot phone will successfully boot to ADW Launcher's Home.

Press Thanks if helped.

Johannski
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up It worked

Thanks a lot, it worked without problems For any other person, who wants to do that, it is also save to remove the google search, if an other launcher is installed (I think back then, I removed the google search app, which had the launcher included).