Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,006 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My M8 El Smasho - UPDATE NOW REPAIRED

Tip us?

grentuu
Old
(Last edited by grentuu; 25th April 2014 at 10:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWHAMM974 View Post
If you'll look at this screenshot the small print at the bottom says all bought after Feb 18.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Feb 18th - that would be pre-order. Over in UK it didn't release until April.

On the down side, just checked my box, no 6 month warranty leaflet (Vodafone UK purchased 26th April)

Just found this

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1273...other-benefits

US only . Utter bullsh**

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

Rotten Ross
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Well the screen replacement parts is updates and cloud storage are all round I believe

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ashyx
Old
(Last edited by ashyx; 26th April 2014 at 02:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Oh cripes, is it true that all UK HTC ones get shipped to Poland for repair?! WTF? Will I ever see my One again? I sent it to HTC as I assumed it would be a high standard repair with genuine parts. Now i feel like I'll never get it back and it'll be a shoddy repair if it does.

EDIT: According to UPS HTC have had my device since Friday Morning, but the HTC tracker says awaiting device?

Onem8
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx View Post
Unfortunately because I'm a complete tard I have managed to obliterate the screen on my 2 week old M8. Basically left it on the roof of my car and drove off. 30mph later and a loud bang on the rear windscreen leaves me with a smashed screen. Not happy as you can guess.
Has anybody got any idea of how much Regenersis will charge to replace the screen and body to make my baby look new again? Also what sort of time scales in the real world do these chaps work at? Is the workmanship up to oem standard?
Monday i know how much it cost.. let you know. HTC advantage is a pilot in the US. Other regions are watching closely..
Device : HTC One M8 2.8Ghz "Gunmetal Gray"
Recovery : PhilZ Touch
Kernel : ElementalX
Rom : Android Revolution HD
Mods : Harman/Kardon | Sense 6 Toolbox

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onem8 View Post
Monday i know how much it cost.. let you know. HTC advantage is a pilot in the US. Other regions are watching closely..
In other words... "Let's see how much this costs us before we dive in worldwide and completely screw ourselves"

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

ashyx
Old
(Last edited by ashyx; 26th April 2014 at 02:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by grentuu View Post
In other words... "Let's see how much this costs us before we dive in worldwide and completely screw ourselves"
Or, because the US is the land of Lawsuits (no offence to anybody from the US ) HTC decide that maybe it is cheaper to replace screens for free and covers their a$$e$ rather than have people bring lawsuits against them for not fit for purpose screens. (I am in no way saying that the screen is not fit for purpose by the way lol, it's my own stupid fault.)

ashyt16
Old
(Last edited by ashyt16; 15th May 2014 at 07:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I finally got my M8 back from Regenersis HTC repair centre and I'm very surprised.
The total cost of repair was 103.31. I was expecting at least twice that amount as the phone is good as new especially considering the difficulty of the repair.
They have replaced the LCD, the bottom speaker panel, the middle assembly and the back cover. I'm quite impressed really as HTC were quite helpful whenever I contacted them and the whole thing has been pretty painless. It took less than 3 weeks from sending to receiving. Thumbs up for HTC

The breakdown of parts:

LCD & touch- 43.06
Bezel pre assy - 5.58
deco plate upper assy - 1.17
Deco plate bottom assy - 0.89
Labour - 22
Shipping - 11.29
VAT 19.32

Not sure which one of those is the back cover, but it's been replaced!

That means that HTC charged about 50 +VAT for the actual repair. The parts themselves cost double that. No point in buying insurance at that cost.

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
The LCD is only 43 what's that close to $80??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

ashyt16
Old
(Last edited by ashyt16; 17th May 2014 at 10:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
The LCD is only 43 what's that close to $80??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Around $75 at the current exchange rate. There is a seller selling just the touch screen and LCD for $190 on eBay. The part I have been charged for is a complete assembly including the housing.
It seems maybe HTC are only charging cost prices for the parts. Maybe this is so as not to discourage people from buying the phone because of scary repair costs.
I honestly can't complain about the repair cost or the service. After reading some dodgy reviews I was expecting a worse experience.