[Q] MT6572 stuck at "Select Boot Mode" screen...

10th May 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

3 posts
Hello,

This is the phone I have, some sort of "Huawei Honor 3CL":

Code:
Hardware : MT6572 (MT6589 is Fake!)
Model : android
Build number : ALPS.JB3.MP.V1.6
Build date UTC : 20140121-050308
Android  v : 4.2.2
Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V4.P6, 2013/11/13 11:04
Kernel v : 3.4.5 (lxy@tastech-desktop) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP  Tue Jan 21 18:49:48 CST 2014
Uboot build v : -----
LCD Driver IC : 1-iti9806_dsi_vdo
I connected a USB cable while USB debugging is on but something strange happened and the screen went blank and unresponsive. So I unplugged it and hard restarted the phone, and it came up with a text menu with a small font:

Code:
Select boot mode:
VOLUME_UP to select. VOLUME_DOWN is OK
Recovery Mode
Fastboot Mode
Normal Boot
But I can't select anything from the menu as the arrow is constantly moving and the buttons are unresponsive.

I've managed to get into the Chinese character "Factory Mode" by battery out, battery in, and holding DOWN VOL + POWER. This got me ADB.

Done a backup from the MTK Droid Root & Tools v2.5.3, and the log was:

Code:
We keep blocks:
- preloader_and_dsp - ERROR :  Zero file, no space left on device!
--- We keep folders contents copying on PC
   - /data/nvram
   - /system
  --- We pack everything kept in archive: D:\APPS\MTK\MTKDroidTools\backups\android_140121_backup_140511-014003.zip
--- task end with ERROR  ---
I can't find the firmware for this thing anywhere, what can I do in adb shell to fix this? Any other suggestions please?
The Following User Says Thank You to nz_mincemeat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Ok, I now got it to boot (sort of), by doing the following:

1. Pull out battery and put back in
2. Go into Chinese-character Factory Mode by holding (DOWN VOL) + (POWER)
3. Plug USB cable into PC
4. adb reboot-bootloader
5. Phone shows "FASTBOOT MODE"
6. With USB connection still plugged into PC, "fastboot continue"

This gets me into Android as expected... but each time I reboot or power cycle, then it will go back into the "Select boot mode" screen.

Any ideas how to fix the bootup defaults? Cheers
17th May 2014, 11:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Good news is that I found a compatible ROM: h t t p : / / w w w.needrom.com/mobile/g700-jb3/
And it was flashed sucessfully using SP Flash Tools, format all and download everything from the pre-loader onwards.

Bad news is that I'm still getting the "Select Boot Mode" screen. So after using the workaround to boot into Android and check all other functionality, I looked at the ROM using a hex editor.

Turns out that offending screen is actually inside lk.bin

So if there is anybody with experience with lk implemented in a MTK phone, what does it check for and how do I bypass it? How do I disassemble that file and maybe I will be able to patch around whatever it's trying to do and boot straight into Android instead...
The Following User Says Thank You to nz_mincemeat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread