Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,180 Members 47,231 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best ROM for Privacy on Nexus 7

Tip us?

SSVT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Best ROM for Privacy on Nexus 7

Hello,

I like my Nexus 7 but do not want any google-access. I'm looking for suggestions for a ROM that basically lets me use the Nexus as an offline device for the most part. I do, from time to time, want to be able to access some services via VPN. I've used Cyanogenmod but it seems it still requires quite a bit of tweaking to turn things off and updates seem to enable things - especially Google services. I really want Google out of my life. Are there any ROMs that start with the assumption that you want complete privacy? Thanks.

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVT View Post
Hello,

I like my Nexus 7 but do not want any google-access. I'm looking for suggestions for a ROM that basically lets me use the Nexus as an offline device for the most part. I do, from time to time, want to be able to access some services via VPN. I've used Cyanogenmod but it seems it still requires quite a bit of tweaking to turn things off and updates seem to enable things - especially Google services. I really want Google out of my life. Are there any ROMs that start with the assumption that you want complete privacy? Thanks.
I think I found the tablet for you.

AT&T LG G2 - 4.3, AOKP
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.2, Stock Rooted (m-kernel)
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2711
Disabling Google services or framework will cause many other issues.

Not sure you even can.

Not being sarcastic.... But to get Google out of your life, you might need to leave android completely. Which won't happen on a nexus.

And to answer your question at the end, no.

However, airplane mode will keep you completely offline. Simple. Without messing with anything.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips