Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 43,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need Help Unlocking Bootloader/Installing CM

Tip us?

Flying_Bear
Old
Thanks Meter 738
Yep, afaik usb debugging needs to be enabled
To install custom roms on O4x:

1. upgrade to jb
2. root
3. unlock bootloader
4. flash custom recovery (cwm)
5. flash roms
6. if you encounter any issues, search, they've been answered already.

Got issues with RIL/IMEI/BASEBAND on custom 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 ROMs on p880? Click me for possible solution!

Fladder72
Old
Thanks Meter 97
When you are fast enough, it is possible in charging mode wihle the carger animation is shown. But you have install adb driver very fast...
LGE 4X HD Tegra Variant 0, the weak one...
Primary ROM: NamelessROM 4.4.2 Nightlys | Kernel: Iodak v10 @ 1700
Secondary ROM:Vanir 4.4.2 Nuclear Mistake | Kernel: Iodak v10 @ 1700
Secondary ROM:JellyFishHD 1.3 (Stock based V20b Euro Open) | Kernel: Iodak v10 @ 1700

eatfoodnow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So I'm pretty sure I got the bootloader unlocked, I ran the .bat file and it went through everything until the part where it checks to see if my bootloader is unlocked, it just froze forever, so I closed it.

How should I go about checking?

Also, what would be my next step now for installing CM10.1.3? I tried to follow the guide on the cyanogenmod wiki (install_CM_for_p880) (I can't post links yet)

...but ran into problems with pushing it into root with adb. It said I didn't have permissions, so I googled some stuff, but just got myself confused.

Thanks for all the help btw!

Rudjgaard
Old
Thanks Meter 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfoodnow View Post
So I'm pretty sure I got the bootloader unlocked, I ran the .bat file and it went through everything until the part where it checks to see if my bootloader is unlocked, it just froze forever, so I closed it.

How should I go about checking?

Also, what would be my next step now for installing CM10.1.3? I tried to follow the guide on the cyanogenmod wiki (install_CM_for_p880) (I can't post links yet)

...but ran into problems with pushing it into root with adb. It said I didn't have permissions, so I googled some stuff, but just got myself confused.

Thanks for all the help btw!
you can check your bl status by entering sw mode (phone off, hold vol+ and insert charger) or reeboting into bl (adb reboot oem-unlock)

to install cm steps are:
-install recovery (you can choose either cwm or twrp, it's more about looks than functions)
-download rom zip onto sd card
-install said zip from said recovery, there's no adb involved

Now my personal opinion, I really don't see the point in flashing 10.1, i would go staright for cm11 if i were you
Xperia Active ST17i
Rom: ParanoidAndroid
Kernel: LupusJB

LG Optimus 4X HD
Rom: PACman
Kernel: MoKee

The Following User Says Thank You to Rudjgaard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eatfoodnow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok well I think I got things together more or less, eventually I tried to install CM10.1 with the ROM manager app. I forgot to select the options to wipe my data partitions and now I'm stuck in an endless boot loop every time I turn the phone on. I tried to boot from my backup using CWM which I made with the app prior to trying to install, and it gave me an error about an MD5 checksum failing, no matter what I tried. Should I do the factory reset/wipe option with CWM now? What's my best option.

Also why would you recommend CM11 over CM10.1? I don't want to have to deal with a nightly, all this phone stuff is a supreme headache to me.

Rudjgaard
Old
Thanks Meter 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfoodnow View Post
Ok well I think I got things together more or less, eventually I tried to install CM10.1 with the ROM manager app. I forgot to select the options to wipe my data partitions and now I'm stuck in an endless boot loop every time I turn the phone on. I tried to boot from my backup using CWM which I made with the app prior to trying to install, and it gave me an error about an MD5 checksum failing, no matter what I tried. Should I do the factory reset/wipe option with CWM now? What's my best option.

Also why would you recommend CM11 over CM10.1? I don't want to have to deal with a nightly, all this phone stuff is a supreme headache to me.
Factory reset then get nandroid manager app and see if you can restore your stuff with that

CM11 is bugless atm and performance (imo) is way superior
Xperia Active ST17i
Rom: ParanoidAndroid
Kernel: LupusJB

LG Optimus 4X HD
Rom: PACman
Kernel: MoKee

The Following User Says Thank You to Rudjgaard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eatfoodnow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So after a factory reset/data wipe, my phone just booted into CM10.1 and now that's working. And it looks like all of my stuff on the phone is still there (though of course apps aren't installed and whatnot, that wouldn't make sense). Thanks for all the help!

I tried to find a feature list or something to see what exactly is better about CM11, and found out that "stable" doesn't exactly mean stable for CM, and that it looks like a good idea to update, so I think I will try to update to that. Do you know anywhere that has an actual feature list to show me what CM11 does that CM10.1 doesn't?