Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(Q)Flashing roms/kernals without SD? - Noob Question

Tip us?

arkolbus
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by douger1957 View Post
It did indeed blow out my internal storage when I first tried it. When I went to flash, there was nothing in internal storage. None of the usually folders, most certainly not the .zip I was looking for, nothing. Enter tension.

Perhaps the next time I'll try again. It'll save a few steps. I'll have Wug's Toolbox open just in case.
TWRP wipe blew out your internal storage, or was it some other process? Your link pointed to a T-mo "master reset", which I'm sure isn't referring to a custom recovery. Unlocking the bootloader on my G2 completely trashed my internal storage, but I was expecting this. IIRC, Nexus devices have been more unlock-friendly, but loading a factory image will wipe everything, including internal sd.

Helpful hint for everyone (esp. the paranoid): get a cheap USB OTG to USB-A (female) adapter, and have a flash drive handy. Newer versions of TWRP can mount USB OTG, so it's a nice plan B if you can't get past recovery. They're cheap (<$5), small, and come in handy pretty often.

SwoRNLeaDejZ
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Yeah the N7 official TWRP definitely does not wipe internal storage. It says right in TWRP "wiping data without wiping /media" which means without wiping internal storage.

If your TWRP is wiping the internal you should make sure it isn't a modified version and TeamWin official.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

matt4321
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1109

DONATE TO ME
To clarify, wipe data/factory reset wipes your internal storage (/data) but misses /data/media which is your 'sdcard', call it what you like

Assuming a custom recovery, I cannot speak for stock

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

Nexus 7 (2013) | Nexus 5 | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter

SwoRNLeaDejZ
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4321 View Post
To clarify, wipe data/factory reset wipes your internal storage (/data) but misses /data/media which is your 'sdcard', call it what you like

Assuming a custom recovery, I cannot speak for stock

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk
Yes but your sdcard is to most and many your internal storage... What is factory reset wiping if it avoids everything you have on your sdcard, including files copied to the root of your internal storage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk