Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,709 Members 47,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

{Feature Request}<--Where would this post go? Here??

Tip us?

griz.droidx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Default {Feature Request}<--Where would this post go? Here??

This is a feature request for any rom that would want to implement it. Most roms, Carbon, Liquid, Nameless, and some TW rom's (4.3's) have a form of it already.

Network Traffic in the status bar.

This is a very handy feaure when you can read it. That's the problem especially on ROM's which have both up and download speeds shown at the same time on two different rows. I know this takes up much less space, but if you can't readily read the data, it doesn't do much good. I'm on a much cheaper verizon data package plan like 250MB, and I might go up but I'm trying to save every penny I can. There's a lot of public wifi available anyway. I like to glance it at perodically to see how much data is being used when I'm not and when I am using wifi. Wifi to check speeds overall, and on data to make sure stuff ain't downloading a ton to keep both mine and another smartphone in check.

Anyway, ROM's which display download only I currently prefer simply beause it's one speed and the font size is much larger.
But I'd prefer to see both as although I use download speed a lot, up speed is nice to know too, for uploading and sending large messages / email, upload of files, and to see if the phone is uploading something I might not need to be like a rogue app.

Xposed has a module that a new guy has taken over that shows network speed and gives you the option of how many rows you want to use for network speeds. There's other ways too, I think there's an app in the store, and I'm almost certain there's widgets, again, both are nice, but having it in the status bar is just awesome sauce on the kitkat or jellybean.

With the Xposed module: You can also select things like:
  • display the unit you prefer, or none
  • IF both are one row you can make the font larger so you can easily read both and are squinting
  • Change the color of the font
  • A ton of other things some nice, some unnecessary, a really nice xposed module.

I am forty years old have had three eye surgeries between 3-5 years of age, but was told I'd start needing glasses for reading when I reached my thirties. Well, I'm going on 40, and the eye's ain't what they used to be. And they've never been great, but I never needed them to read for about the last twenty years, after having worn glasses for 15 years after the sugeries, the doc told me I really didn't need them anymore and wouldn't need them until I got a bit older.

Anyway, I hope this is the place for something like this. I like a lot of different roms, and although I'm on one rom now mostly, I'd like to see this at least in the rom's that currently have such a feature. Because, at least for me, even with glasses, I have a hard time reading the double row up and down speeds provided by roms like beanstalk (most recent kitkat builds, the earlier builds only had down speed which was readable), carbon, liquid, and many roms, TW included, already have a readable download speed but no upload speed. I rather have it like this if it's not changable, but if it's changable:

Id like to see single row network speeds both up and down. Maybe 2 digits like 2.2GB/s etc. With or without the units.

If there's anyway anyone can implement, I for one would appreciate it. If it's something ridiculously insance to do, perhaps I can help, but although I'm no dev, I might be able to get it working by comparing code, but the font size I'd think would be changable somehow.

Thanks.
griz

If this post needs moving, please send me a PM and go ahead and move it. I'm not sure where it belongs, but the dev's might see it here.
Thanks to all dev's and the community for making my toy's/tool's "So Damn Cool"

griz.droidx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Please move this to general where it belongs. Sorry I should have read the rest of the rules. The ones by archangel . my apologies again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thanks to all dev's and the community for making my toy's/tool's "So Damn Cool"

Stryke_the_Orc
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz.droidx View Post
Please move this to general where it belongs. Sorry I should have read the rest of the rules. The ones by archangel . my apologies again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Done.

cammykool
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400373033024.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	2749640

You mean like that?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app