Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] To Update to KitKat or not?

Tip us?

Mort3770
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] To Update to KitKat or not?

Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure that has been addressed her many times lately.

I woke up this morning to my GN3 on Verizon telling me it wants to do the KitKat update. It's stock right now, but my concern is that I'm still on the unlimited data and don't want to lose the ability to run FoxFi and get a hotspot without paying the extra $30 a month.

If I update to KitKat, will I be able to root and will I be able to continue getting the use of the hotspot feature without paying the additional fee?

Thanks.

slowz3r
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort3770 View Post
Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure that has been addressed her many times lately.

I woke up this morning to my GN3 on Verizon telling me it wants to do the KitKat update. It's stock right now, but my concern is that I'm still on the unlimited data and don't want to lose the ability to run FoxFi and get a hotspot without paying the extra $30 a month.

If I update to KitKat, will I be able to root and will I be able to continue getting the use of the hotspot feature without paying the additional fee?

Thanks.
as of now NC4 does not have a root method but NC2 does. So you could root your phone on 4.3 then install a prerooted NC2 and be good

forstir9
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Foxfi website says that it works on the Galaxy Note 3 with Kit Kat.

herrdrjonz
Old
Thanks Meter 4
For the love of God why would you?

KK first off isn't all that. But we have KK based ROMs already. Take the OTA and even if you can keep root, good luck on something as basic as having the light\torch in your notification drawer. Being able to go to all sorts of ROMs is freedom. Why give that up? And there is a thread about going to the NC4 modem even if you're on NC2 base so why not stay flexible??? ??? ???
The Following User Says Thank You to herrdrjonz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 267
I wouldn't do it purely for the loss of external write permissions. Pee poor of Google and an utterly false excuse of "security". Google has a high Apple wannabe complex.

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 8770
There is a thread on the benefits of taking the leaked rom here, and for non-rooted OTA updated phones here. Thread closed
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe