Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Google Apps without root?

OP Hzu

17th May 2014, 12:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
1,583 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Since we have the stock recovery, is it possible to flash the Google Apps through the stock recovery or do we still need root access for the stock recovery to be able to flash custom ZIPs? Or is the stock recovery only flashes ZIPs signed by Nokia?


I want to have Google Play on my Nokia X but I don't want to waste my warranty just yet since I'll be out of home for a long time. Just in case, as an insurance, sort of.


Thank you in advance.
17th May 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 481
 
845 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzu

Since we have the stock recovery, is it possible to flash the Google Apps through the stock recovery or do we still need root access for the stock recovery to be able to flash custom ZIPs? Or is the stock recovery only flashes ZIPs signed by Nokia?


I want to have Google Play on my Nokia X but I don't want to waste my warranty just yet since I'll be out of home for a long time. Just in case, as an insurance, sort of.


Thank you in advance.

Yes you can. Use Nokia X Toolikt right here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2712360

Choose Option 12. It'll boot you into CWM. Mount System via Mounts and Storage. Choose Install Zip. There you'll find g-apps zip. Flash them. Then choose reboot recovery. It'll ask you for fixing something. Just choose No.
Done

Or simply use Nokia X Manager.
Last edited by Dom3616; 17th May 2014 at 04:12 PM.
17th May 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
1,583 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Yes, I discovered that right I posted this. But thanks anyway.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you able to watch 720p videos smoothly? Because I can't. And I'm sure hardware isn't the issue as my older Xperia X10 was able to watch 720p even smoother than on this Nokia X.
17th May 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 481
 
845 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzu

Yes, I discovered that right I posted this. But thanks anyway.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you able to watch 720p videos smoothly? Because I can't. And I'm sure hardware isn't the issue as my older Xperia X10 was able to watch 720p even smoother than on this Nokia X.

Umm, maybe you are watching it in a different format?
18th May 2014, 04:31 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
1,583 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom3616

Umm, maybe you are watching it in a different format?

Well, I'm not sure about that but they're downloaded from YouTube as an MP4. Anyway, are you able to watch ANY 720p videos smoothly?
18th May 2014, 09:15 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 481
 
845 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzu

Well, I'm not sure about that but they're downloaded from YouTube as an MP4. Anyway, are you able to watch ANY 720p videos smoothly?

Nah, haven't tried.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes