Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems with incoming and outgoing calls [help please]

Tip us?

Olivecaus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Problems with incoming and outgoing calls [help please]

Alright, I am currently on an sgh-i337 Galaxy S4. I'm updated to MK2 and have been trying to fix the problem I've been having for a week or two now and figured I could get some help from some real geniuses.

My problem is that when making a call or receiving a call, there is no audio transacted between my caller and I (they can't hear me and I can't hear them). After digging around on the Internet a little, I found several tips: factory restore, update from mf3 to mk2, wipe the cache and data on the phone application, use applications such as soundabout, clean out the mic with a needle, trying different ROMS. I have tried ALL these options and have yet to figure out a solution.

Some info- I know my microphone is working fine because I will record myself and play it back with crystal quality, Text to speech works flawlessly, and S-Voice works as well. My speakers work fine too. I can play music and the internal (ear) speaker works as well. I have data on the phone and can send and receive text messages perfectly. HERE IS THE KICKER: When connected to my bluetooth headset, the call works perfectly! This leads me to believe it is a software issue but I am puzzled as to why a factory reset (even a fresh mk2 Odin flash) won't work. I have tried downloading different dialer applications and dialing a call from android terminal emulator. Still, no dice.
Thanks for any and all help!

The French Tickl3r
Old
Thanks Meter 26
hi there,

sounds like a modem issue.. although the fact that it works with bluetooth makes me think otherwise. did you donan official update or is it a custom Rom? at one point I update to 442 (NC1) but still had the 422 basedband (MG1). I was getting signal drops all the time so I went back the 422, flashed the modem only using odin, then updated to 442 again and no more signal drops!

good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app
Certified Couch Tester

Current: OnePlus One CyanogenMod 11 M9 and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1; SlimKat

Past: Galaxy S5 XtreStoLite
Galaxy S4; Samy Deluxe Jelly Biafra
Nexus 4; Z1 ROM (xperia XL)
Galaxy S3; SlimKat
Galaxy S2; HellKat (Diablo kernel)

Olivecaus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Tickl3r View Post
hi there,

sounds like a modem issue.. although the fact that it works with bluetooth makes me think otherwise. did you donan official update or is it a custom Rom? at one point I update to 442 (NC1) but still had the 422 basedband (MG1). I was getting signal drops all the time so I went back the 422, flashed the modem only using odin, then updated to 442 again and no more signal drops!

good luck!

So you think I should download the new kit kat modems and give them a flash? This is what I thought as well. I feel like there is just an internal software switch that is causing mute and hold to be constantly activated unless a bluetooth device is connected. I'll certainly do your suggestion and get back with you. Thank you

The French Tickl3r
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivecaus View Post
So you think I should download the new kit kat modems and give them a flash? This is what I thought as well. I feel like there is just an internal software switch that is causing mute and hold to be constantly activated unless a bluetooth device is connected. I'll certainly do your suggestion and get back with you. Thank you
hey there,

give it a shot, but whatever you do, have a backup before you start!
Certified Couch Tester

Galaxy S3; SlimKat

Olivecaus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
hi there,

good luck!

I apologize it took me so long to get back with you, I had to flash full NB1, and zip the modems up, then downgrade, then flash. I couldn't find any individual tar files for NB1 4.4.2.

Thanks for the suggestion French but I'm afraid that's another idea we can add the list of busts. I first flashed the NB1 modems and then tried making a call. Everything was going normal but the call audio from either person has yet to budge. After that frustration I decided to wipe everything, update to NB1, reset the flash counter, and take it to best buy and the AT&T store for some more ideas. The guy at Best Buy was a total dweeb and said they didn't offer a service for flashing phone devices. How lame. I went to the AT&T store and the guy of course, didn't try to help me resolve the problem but just get a new phone.

So, I'm scraping bottom for ideas fellas. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thank you all

The French Tickl3r
Old
Thanks Meter 26
hi there,

glad to hear you resolved your problem. sounds like it might have been a hw issue after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivecaus View Post
I apologize it took me so long to get back with you, I had to flash full NB1, and zip the modems up, then downgrade, then flash. I couldn't find any individual tar files for NB1 4.4.2.

Thanks for the suggestion French but I'm afraid that's another idea we can add the list of busts. I first flashed the NB1 modems and then tried making a call. Everything was going normal but the call audio from either person has yet to budge. After that frustration I decided to wipe everything, update to NB1, reset the flash counter, and take it to best buy and the AT&T store for some more ideas. The guy at Best Buy was a total dweeb and said they didn't offer a service for flashing phone devices. How lame. I went to the AT&T store and the guy of course, didn't try to help me resolve the problem but just get a new phone.

So, I'm scraping bottom for ideas fellas. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thank you all
Certified Couch Tester

Galaxy S3; SlimKat

Olivecaus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
hi there,

glad to hear you resolved your problem. sounds like it might have been a hw issue after all.
I didn't resolve the problem and I'm still open to any and all suggestions. Getting a new phone is rarely the answer and in a case like this where the hardware works perfect on a Skype call, etc.. I really appreciate your help and if you got any more ideas, throw them at me!