Samsung Galaxy S4 also Receives Android Lollipop Port

Once upon a time, when the original Samsung Galaxy S was just a dream for most XDA … more

How to Control Both Moto G and Moto E LEDs

Notification LEDs offer a great way to check for notification at a glance on the Moto G (2013) and … more

LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

chinese notifications?

OP Gloris

18th May 2014, 07:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
542 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Hi,

My sister just bought a galaxy s4 mini from amazon (from amazon direct not from an amazon seller), and is finding that whenever she installs an app from play store, she is getting a Chinese notification??

any idea what it is or why it's happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-17-21-51-011.png
Views:	34
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2749915  
18th May 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #2  
Aronuser's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 226
 
630 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloris

Hi,

My sister just bought a galaxy s4 mini from amazon (from amazon direct not from an amazon seller), and is finding that whenever she installs an app from play store, she is getting a Chinese notification??

any idea what it is or why it's happening?

This is most likely a notification of the app Vroot or Kingo root. These are chinese rooting programms and they give you messages when you install something. (At least this happens on Vroot)

Maybe it's a used phone if you didn't root it. If so, I'd maybe return it.
18th May 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
542 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
it shouldn't be rooted it's brand new sealed box from amazon

presumably, i can fix this for her by flashing the latest BTU firmware using odin?

having a look on sammobile the latest version is I9195XXUBML4? although this says black edition? if her isn't the black edition, the latest stock firmware will be I9195XXUBMJ7???

can anyone confirm this for me before i go ahead for her. this won't void warranty right, since it's stock firmware?
18th May 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #4  
Aronuser's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 226
 
630 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloris

it shouldn't be rooted it's brand new sealed box from amazon

presumably, i can fix this for her by flashing the latest BTU firmware using odin?

having a look on sammobile the latest version is I9195XXUBML4? although this says black edition? if her isn't the black edition, the latest stock firmware will be I9195XXUBMJ7???

can anyone confirm this for me before i go ahead for her. this won't void warranty right, since it's stock firmware?

latest is I9195XXUBML4

i wonder how it's installed when it's sealed, then probably the samsung staff repacked it.

It's not so cool!!!~~

If I were you I'd send it back!

Anyway.. if you want to reflash firmware, you'll most likely get KNOX enabled! *warning* It's been reported by a user here
18th May 2014, 02:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
542 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
but the BML4 says "(black edition)" on sammobile.com?? can this be flashed on a non-black edition?

I'll have to check if it's rooted or not when she gets here, i'm just trying to get the right firmware downloaded before she arrives.

if i get the mj7, that doesn't say black edition i don't think, and if there is a more recent version she can get it ota right?

::EDIT::

ooops, just double checke dthe firmware database and there is a BML4 non black edition.....downloading now

::EDIT2::

yup, it's been rooted.

looks like it is an official samsung phone so far as i can tell but it's been rooted, annoyingly. i'm gonna try putting the latest btu firmware on for her, and failing that amazon can have it back.

warning to anyone buying a phone from amazon......you might not be getting what you expect!!!!

::EDIT3::

all sorted. now has totally stock firmware, knock not tripped, not rooted and everything looking good

thanks for helping
Last edited by Gloris; 18th May 2014 at 04:09 PM.
18th May 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #6  
Aronuser's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 226
 
630 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloris

but the BML4 says "(black edition)" on sammobile.com?? can this be flashed on a non-black edition?

I'll have to check if it's rooted or not when she gets here, i'm just trying to get the right firmware downloaded before she arrives.

if i get the mj7, that doesn't say black edition i don't think, and if there is a more recent version she can get it ota right?

::EDIT::

ooops, just double checke dthe firmware database and there is a BML4 non black edition.....downloading now

::EDIT2::

yup, it's been rooted.

looks like it is an official samsung phone so far as i can tell but it's been rooted, annoyingly. i'm gonna try putting the latest btu firmware on for her, and failing that amazon can have it back.

warning to anyone buying a phone from amazon......you might not be getting what you expect!!!!

::EDIT3::

all sorted. now has totally stock firmware, knock not tripped, not rooted and everything looking good

thanks for helping

Thanks for the info about the knox, i'll update it to my knox guide and giving you credits!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aronuser For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes