Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,571 Members 54,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MTP only USB access for encrypted SD card

Tip us?

tigrino
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default MTP only USB access for encrypted SD card

I recently decided to encrypt the phone and SD card "just in case". It seems there is no loss of functionality and the Z1 Compact is sufficiently fast; I did not see any slowdown or any other adverse effects after encrypting. Until today.

Today I decided to move things around on the SD card and connected to the PC through the USB cable. It connected in MTP mode. Annoyed, I went to the menu to change the settings again into the Mass Transfer. And the menu is gone. There is no more a menu to select the USB transfer mode.

Pop out the encrypted card, put in another, the menu reappears. Slot in the encrypted one - the menu disappears. So it seems that the only way to access an encrypted SD card is through the MTP. Nuts.

Through searching I could not find any information whatsoever on the subject. Any tricks to help?..

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1637

DONATE TO ME
I think that's perfectly fine. The reason why you're encrypting the sdcard is to protect it's content from unauthorized use. Which means it disables it'se from mounting on other devices. And USB Mass Storage mounts the sdcard directly to the PC on which the phone acts as an adapter only hence you can't mount it. The sole solution to your problem is remove the encryption.

coolkoushik07
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
I think that's perfectly fine. The reason why you're encrypting the sdcard is to protect it's content from unauthorized use. Which means it disables it'se from mounting on other devices. And USB Mass Storage mounts the sdcard directly to the PC on which the phone acts as an adapter only hence you can't mount it. The sole solution to your problem is remove the encryption.
Exactly you are right and I dont understand why the OP encrypted it.. If he really cares about the encryption then he should know that its what encryption means...
Press thank if I helped you

Model: D5503 Xperia Z1 Compact, GT-I8552 Grand Quattro, GT-I9500 Galaxy S4(Returned to store after using 20 days)

Iruwen
Old
Thanks Meter 36
He just didn't know about the interior workings of MPT and MSC and what that means for encryption. You don't really have to know that as a normal user, you just want to click a button and know that your data is secure. And since it works with MPT mode, it's not obvious that it won't work in MSC mode.