Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Tab 2 will only boot to CWM

OP colema19

18th May 2014, 02:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
So we were trying to update my friend's Tab 2 to a 4.4.2 ROM. We got CWM 6.0.2.3 installed, and tried a ROM. Well this failed, and appeared to break other stuff as it now boot loops to CWM. Actually I think it's going every other book to CWM. Right now it's saying battery depleated. I've got it plugged intoa charger, hopefully it'll take a charge.

I did later realize we weren't using a new enough version of CWM, but regardless, any ideas how to recover from this? It does not appear to be able to go into download mode. It only goes to CWM. I've tried flashing other ROMs but that doesn't seem to be working either.
So...kinda stuck for the moment.

Thanks!
18th May 2014, 07:28 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 18

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colema19

So we were trying to update my friend's Tab 2 to a 4.4.2 ROM. We got CWM 6.0.2.3 installed (...)

We have a winner... the next one who didn't pay any attention - i.e. reading the OP post of the ROM thread.

ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.x.y is ONLY for flashing CyanogenMod up to 10.1.3.

For flashing OMNI ROM or CyanogenMod 11 (both Android 4.4.2 at the time of writing) you _NEED_ to use TWRP (recommended for OMNI) or PhilzTouch Advanced Recovery or ClockworkMod Swipe Edition (recommended for CM11). See AndroidAndi's file repository to obtain a copy of the correct recovery for your particular model of the Tab 2.

Next thing to do: Download and install ODIN, install the "Samsung USB Drivers" (Google's your buddy), download the .tar.md5 of the recovery you want to flash (see above and make a choice), put the tablet into download mode, flash the recovery.

If that worked flash the custom ROM of choice (+gapps if CM11, +SuperSU if OMNI) through the custom recovery you just installed and be glad you didn't turn the tablet of your friend into a paperweight.
18th May 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneWithABeagle

We have a winner... the next one who didn't pay any attention - i.e. reading the OP post of the ROM thread.

Speaking of not reading OPs and paying attention...I already said I realized that was the issue, and that I can't seem to get it to go into download mode, so that's likely paperweight land?
18th May 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colema19

Speaking of not reading OPs and paying attention...I already said I realized that was the issue, and that I can't seem to get it to go into download mode, so that's likely paperweight land?

If you're down to "can't get it into download mode anymore" (I start to assume the attempt to flash some 4.4.2 ROM through CWM 6.0.x.x may overwrite partitions it's not supposed to overwrite) the only way left to breathe life back into the tablet is to resort to JTAG (UART port connection, CASUAL restoration package, USB Jig to force the tablet into UART mode).

If you search on XDA you will discover tons of threads by AdamOutler dealing with that topic, maybe that's useful to you in any way to figure out if that's an option for you.
18th May 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,068

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
Does it stay in CWM once it boots? If so you can copy a TWRP 2.7.0.x zip file to your SD card and install it from there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app
18th May 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakatu

Does it stay in CWM once it boots? If so you can copy a TWRP 2.7.0.x zip file to your SD card and install it from there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

I'll keewp looking, but if you have a location I can get a flashable zip that will work for this, that'd be very helpful!
Thanks
18th May 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

33 posts
Found a flash, flashed TWRP and got CM11 on it and working.
Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread