Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tab 2 will only boot to CWM

Tip us?

colema19
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Tab 2 will only boot to CWM

So we were trying to update my friend's Tab 2 to a 4.4.2 ROM. We got CWM 6.0.2.3 installed, and tried a ROM. Well this failed, and appeared to break other stuff as it now boot loops to CWM. Actually I think it's going every other book to CWM. Right now it's saying battery depleated. I've got it plugged intoa charger, hopefully it'll take a charge.

I did later realize we weren't using a new enough version of CWM, but regardless, any ideas how to recover from this? It does not appear to be able to go into download mode. It only goes to CWM. I've tried flashing other ROMs but that doesn't seem to be working either.
So...kinda stuck for the moment.

Thanks!

BoneWithABeagle
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colema19 View Post
So we were trying to update my friend's Tab 2 to a 4.4.2 ROM. We got CWM 6.0.2.3 installed (...)
We have a winner... the next one who didn't pay any attention - i.e. reading the OP post of the ROM thread.

ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.x.y is ONLY for flashing CyanogenMod up to 10.1.3.

For flashing OMNI ROM or CyanogenMod 11 (both Android 4.4.2 at the time of writing) you _NEED_ to use TWRP (recommended for OMNI) or PhilzTouch Advanced Recovery or ClockworkMod Swipe Edition (recommended for CM11). See AndroidAndi's file repository to obtain a copy of the correct recovery for your particular model of the Tab 2.

Next thing to do: Download and install ODIN, install the "Samsung USB Drivers" (Google's your buddy), download the .tar.md5 of the recovery you want to flash (see above and make a choice), put the tablet into download mode, flash the recovery.

If that worked flash the custom ROM of choice (+gapps if CM11, +SuperSU if OMNI) through the custom recovery you just installed and be glad you didn't turn the tablet of your friend into a paperweight.

colema19
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneWithABeagle View Post
We have a winner... the next one who didn't pay any attention - i.e. reading the OP post of the ROM thread.
Speaking of not reading OPs and paying attention...I already said I realized that was the issue, and that I can't seem to get it to go into download mode, so that's likely paperweight land?

BoneWithABeagle
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colema19 View Post
Speaking of not reading OPs and paying attention...I already said I realized that was the issue, and that I can't seem to get it to go into download mode, so that's likely paperweight land?
If you're down to "can't get it into download mode anymore" (I start to assume the attempt to flash some 4.4.2 ROM through CWM 6.0.x.x may overwrite partitions it's not supposed to overwrite) the only way left to breathe life back into the tablet is to resort to JTAG (UART port connection, CASUAL restoration package, USB Jig to force the tablet into UART mode).

If you search on XDA you will discover tons of threads by AdamOutler dealing with that topic, maybe that's useful to you in any way to figure out if that's an option for you.

shakatu
Old
Thanks Meter 1023

DONATE TO ME
Does it stay in CWM once it boots? If so you can copy a TWRP 2.7.0.x zip file to your SD card and install it from there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

Donate to the "shakatu needs money" fund
All donations will receive special thanks on my main ROM forum, which has received over 100k views

My devices: Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, HTC G1
My projects: SGT2: 4.2.2, Zap Blaster ROM

colema19
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakatu View Post
Does it stay in CWM once it boots? If so you can copy a TWRP 2.7.0.x zip file to your SD card and install it from there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app
I'll keewp looking, but if you have a location I can get a flashable zip that will work for this, that'd be very helpful!
Thanks

colema19
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Found a flash, flashed TWRP and got CM11 on it and working.
Thanks!