Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 46,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No fastboot, TWRP flickering screen

Tip us?

djakolis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default No fastboot, TWRP flickering screen

Hello people,

First of all, I'm not an expert so pardon on that.

I had a MicroSD card in my tablet and it was partitioned using GParted, 2 partitons - fat32 and ext4. I erased the whole tablet with Wipe option in TWRP and installed move2sd.zip.
Anyway... When I pressed Reboot to recovery, tablet restared, showed TWRP and screen went on and off showing TWRP logo, like it was trying to load TWRP. Now... Since I installed that .zip file it might have written some code to use MicroSD card as boot? I reinstalled TWRP by flashing it via fastboot and was able to enter TWRP again.

Now the stupid part... Since it read 0mb on internal card (tablet), I wanted to fix it by formating Data... It didnt do the trick cause /data and other folders couldn't have been found. That's where I restarted the tablet and pressed Wipe data on the screen with 3 icons (RCK, Android, Wipe data)... Since then I only see 2 screens - bootup screen with Asus logo and message: Device is unlock and the next screen is TWRP and it flickers again, goes on and off just as if it was trying to load TWRP.

I cannot reflash recovery cause there is no fastboot?

I just hope this is not an expensive paper...

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1102

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by djakolis View Post
Hello people,

First of all, I'm not an expert so pardon on that.

I had a MicroSD card in my tablet and it was partitioned using GParted, 2 partitons - fat32 and ext4. I erased the whole tablet with Wipe option in TWRP and installed move2sd.zip.
Anyway... When I pressed Reboot to recovery, tablet restared, showed TWRP and screen went on and off showing TWRP logo, like it was trying to load TWRP. Now... Since I installed that .zip file it might have written some code to use MicroSD card as boot? I reinstalled TWRP by flashing it via fastboot and was able to enter TWRP again.

Now the stupid part... Since it read 0mb on internal card (tablet), I wanted to fix it by formating Data... It didnt do the trick cause /data and other folders couldn't have been found. That's where I restarted the tablet and pressed Wipe data on the screen with 3 icons (RCK, Android, Wipe data)... Since then I only see 2 screens - bootup screen with Asus logo and message: Device is unlock and the next screen is TWRP and it flickers again, goes on and off just as if it was trying to load TWRP.

I cannot reflash recovery cause there is no fastboot?

I just hope this is not an expensive paper...
You can still enter RCK ??

CAPS_ON
Old
(Last edited by CAPS_ON; 13th May 2014 at 04:14 AM.) Reason: added "ed" to "cross"
Thanks Meter 3
Not that this helps your situation, so apologies.

Just started getting the screen flicker/lines randomly when handeling it. So my guess was just the loosining of something internally.

I`m also freecarding it. So that hadden`t crossed my mind.

Time for a tear down vid I guess.

Best of luck tho.

djakolis
Old
(Last edited by djakolis; 13th May 2014 at 01:28 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I'll make a quick video. Be right back to you...

Edit: I cannot post a video due to XDA rules, but you can search for it: TF700 no fastboot, recovery stuck (search for recent uploads, d jakolis is my username on YouTube) If you guys cannot find it, I can email the link to you.

djakolis
Old
(Last edited by djakolis; 17th May 2014 at 07:22 PM.) Reason: Grammar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
As you can see in the video, there is not much left to do with the tablet.

However, when I selected Wipe Data on bootloader, did it wipe kernel too? I'm asking this cause I had installed data2sd.zip along with its corresponding kernel.

What would happen if someone else with the same device installed the custom ROM on MicroSD card and handed me his MicroSD card to pop in my tablet? Would it boot off it? Would I be able to enter Android and maybe somehow re-flash recovery and stock kernel along with stock ROM?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2311
You should still be able to connect via adb. Try adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and adb logcat.

djakolis
Old
(Last edited by djakolis; 18th May 2014 at 01:07 PM.) Reason: Attachment added
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
You should still be able to connect via adb. Try adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and adb logcat.
Tried adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and got recovery.txt file.

Adb logcat showed this: /sbin/sh: exec: line 1: logcat: not found
Attached Files
File Type: rar recovery.rar - [Click for QR Code] (1.6 KB, 4 views)

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2311
Quote:
Tried adb pull /tmp/recovery.log and got recovery.txt file.

Adb logcat showed this: /sbin/sh: exec: line 1: logcat: not found
Looks like your /data partition is not formatted properly. Try this (don't type "#" and the following comment):

Code:
adb shell        # connect to a shell on the device
killall -19 recovery       # suspend the recovery so that it doesn't interfere with formatting
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p8      # format /data
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=64 count=1    # remove "wipe data" request
reboot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djakolis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wow... I don't know what to say. I'm looking at the fastboot screen!

I didn't type the last line of your code because it rebooted itself after format data was complete - make_ext4fs... Is there any consequence for not typing the last line?

Alright, I'm in recovery right now. Question: What is installed on the tablet right now? If anything... May I proceed with installing stock ROM and maybe do nvflash process to have an unbrickable device?

P.S. What does it take to learn all these things? I'm curious cause I like coding, so if you feel happy to share it, I'm all ears.

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2311
Quote:
Wow... I don't know what to say. I'm looking at the fastboot screen!

I didn't type the last line of your code because it rebooted itself after format data was complete - make_ext4fs... Is there any consequence for not typing the last line?
Maybe the "killall -19" stuff didn't work and the recovery was not suspended, so it may have somehow determined that the wipe was finished and initiated a reboot.

Quote:
Alright, I'm in recovery right now. Question: What is installed on the tablet right now? If anything... May I proceed with installing stock ROM and maybe do nvflash process to have an unbrickable device?
What is installed? Whatever recovery, kernel and ROM you installed last. No other apps since you just formatted /data.

Since the nvflash (flatline) process saves only BCT, bootloader, partition table and unlock token (basically all the stuff you need to get fastboot working on a hard bricked tablet), you can do that now.

Quote:
P.S. What does it take to learn all these things? I'm curious cause I like coding, so if you feel happy to share it, I'm all ears.
Lots of reading here, lots of googling and more reading. Experience with Linux on PCs helps too.

The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]