Post Reply

[Q] kit kat upgrade

17th May 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Culver City
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Hey guys,

So I have a rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-1545 running the MK2 build. I've been getting software update messages from Verizon the past few days I'm assuming for the new kit Kat. Since I'm rooted will I be OK if I update the phone with the new software or does anyone know if I will have any problems with it? Cheers.
17th May 2014, 08:28 PM   |  #2  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,381
 
3,217 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Can't OTA update while rooted, will fail or soft brick you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th May 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #3  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,661
 
3,477 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiejuan

Hey guys,

So I have a rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-1545 running the MK2 build. I've been getting software update messages from Verizon the past few days I'm assuming for the new kit Kat. Since I'm rooted will I be OK if I update the phone with the new software or does anyone know if I will have any problems with it? Cheers.

If you really want to update to Kit Kat and you're not worried about root you can simply Odin the kit Kat no wipe file.

If you want root you can follow one of the guides on here to keep root while upgrading... those are somewhat involved however so if you're not comfortable with Odin etc you may just want to stay on MK2. That's what I would do... More options to you on MK2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
18th May 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 814
 
2,395 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

If you really want to update to Kit Kat and you're not worried about root you can simply Odin the kit Kat no wipe file.

If you want root you can follow one of the guides on here to keep root while upgrading... those are somewhat involved however so if you're not comfortable with Odin etc you may just want to stay on MK2. That's what I would do... More options to you on MK2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

absolutely correct, at this point makes no sense to take 4.4 OTA, even with upgrade/downgrade available. Until issues are resolved and more ROMS are available for the non-mdk phone users thru safestrap its best stay back and wait a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2014, 02:43 PM   |  #5  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,661
 
3,477 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Well Bob.. not many think of those things and rather just be on the latest and greatest. However once that wears off we see all the questions pop up on here regarding going back... Then the problems come with that process too so its just better IMO to sit tight unless your very good at troubleshooting and Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2014, 05:06 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 814
 
2,395 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Well Bob.. not many think of those things and rather just be on the latest and greatest. However once that wears off we see all the questions pop up on here regarding going back... Then the problems come with that process too so its just better IMO to sit tight unless your very good at troubleshooting and Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

couldn't agree more. Just look at the struggles so many have had with the upgrade/downgrade methods and odin issues, much can be blamed on the users trying this stuff and not understanding what they are getting into. Luckily (or unluckily) the avalanche of kitkat hasn't hit as there really aren't safestrap compatible roms out (except for maybe 2), once HD 16 comes out sit back and watch the fireworks as issues happen, even to those knowledgeable with odin.

safestrap, odin, udgrade/downgrade and no direct root method for kitkat gonna make the next few months interesting.
18th May 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,226
 
919 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiejuan

Hey guys,

So I have a rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-1545 running the MK2 build. I've been getting software update messages from Verizon the past few days I'm assuming for the new kit Kat. Since I'm rooted will I be OK if I update the phone with the new software or does anyone know if I will have any problems with it? Cheers.

The ota update to NC5(KitKat) will fail because you are rooted but will not cause any harm after the failer. It will leave your current set-up intact(just clearing up this point for everyone). You will need to unroot before taking the ota update.

If you are running stock MK2 except for root you can easily upgrade to NC5 and maintain root access by following these instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank