HALP! Signal problem or defective phone?

Search This thread
I'm not very familiar with this. I've have data (4g lte) connection issues for a while now with my m8.so much so that I'm considering going back to Capts fastboot recovery file just to wipe everything and start over. I'm constantly in a 4G area, but can't get it unless I switch to airplane mode and back. Even then it's short-lived in multiple known 4g areas.
Anyway, tried updating prl. Get an error 1012. But when connected to my airave no problem. Just wondering if that's good to update while hooked up to airave cause I can't in a data area.
Thanks

Don't forget the thanks button!

Last edited:
Ok no one has said anything lol
I've been reading and trying to research my problem. I thought I saw a thread on this same issue but haven't found it yet (hard juggling wife kids work & Android).
Anyway I've spoke with sprint and I just don't trust them.
Been watching my signal on net monitor and everytime I connect to am ehrpd tower my phone tries to connect to lte but apparently didn't want to and jumps down to 3g. I can get lte but has to be a lte tower. Not real knowledgeable yet in this stuff but I'm trying.

Currently on Viper
Firmware 1.54.401.5
Prl 51100

scott_0

Jun 21, 2012
I have no answer for you, but I just got my M8 Wednesday and Im having the exact same issues, its really frustrating :eek:

Reactions: stovo06

meadowmuffin

Jun 13, 2013
Your having the same problem with ehrpd towers? Trying to figure this out but Google ain't helping much

I'm having similar symptoms. I upgraded this past Monday from a Samsung S3 that had good LTE and CDMA voice inside my home (Plano, TX) and my new M8 cannot maintain any stable connection on the voice or data sides. Even at my workplace, I can only get a weak LTE/Spark connection and no voice. I've already worked with several techs and support people at Sprint throughout the week and even exchanged to another new M8 with no better success. I believe it has to do with the Spark (which is actually one of the LTE-Advanced features) and the CSFB (Circuit-Switched Fall Back) that allows us voice on the old CDMA network until VoLTE to rolled out. I am frustrated enough to turn it back in and just go back to using my old S3.

FWIW...

I'm having similar symptoms. I upgraded this past Monday from a Samsung S3 that had good LTE and CDMA voice inside my home (Plano, TX) and my new M8 cannot maintain any stable connection on the voice or data sides. Even at my workplace, I can only get a weak LTE/Spark connection and no voice. I've already worked with several techs and support people at Sprint throughout the week and even exchanged to another new M8 with no better success. I believe it has to do with the Spark (which is actually one of the LTE-Advanced features) and the CSFB (Circuit-Switched Fall Back) that allows us voice on the old CDMA network until VoLTE to rolled out. I am frustrated enough to turn it back in and just go back to using my old S3.

FWIW...

I have no problem with the voice. This is where it seems many are having problems. I'm trying to figure out if this phone is supposed to behave this way with ehrpd towers.

Jerz201

Oct 13, 2010
San Diego
I've mentioned in a different thread that LTE for me is mostly stable, but it does get a little wonky on me. For example, one day at work the LTE will be strong and solid and the following day it drops out intermittently and toggles 3g on.
Probably a sprint issue, not an m8 issue

mrwicked

Jul 15, 2010
Kansas City
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I had the same prob with my first M8. Could not got 4g until I switched airplane mode off/on. Took it back withing 14 days and got a new one. This one gets 4g/LTE now but have had to switch airplane mode a couple times. Also, my airave does not like this phone. Sometimes it will give it full signal and then other times 4g will be showing and I have no signal and miss calls. I called airave support and the solution they gave me was to switch to cdma when at home.

Reactions: stovo06

wes4006

May 17, 2014
Yep, defective phone

I had terrible connection problems after buying a brand new phone! Ex: No service, Dropped calls every minute, No LTE, 3G was rare. Basically it was not even a phone! I had to ship mine back to HTC. This was after hours at the Sprint store, and many customer service chats with HTC reps. I also had to unroot my phone which was a huge hassle considering I just found out how to root it. After getting a new one, works fine.

Don't let them tell you it is a service problem if you are having the same symptoms. THIS IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM and HTC needs to fix your phone. Hope this helps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no answer for you, but I just got my M8 Wednesday and Im having the exact same issues, its really frustrating :eek:
    I had the same prob with my first M8. Could not got 4g until I switched airplane mode off/on. Took it back withing 14 days and got a new one. This one gets 4g/LTE now but have had to switch airplane mode a couple times. Also, my airave does not like this phone. Sometimes it will give it full signal and then other times 4g will be showing and I have no signal and miss calls. I called airave support and the solution they gave me was to switch to cdma when at home.
    This is a known issue with the M8. Some people have had success with HTC replacing the defective phone. http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/390449-sprint-signal-issues.html