Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 41,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dropped phone now reboots

Tip us?

TJj33p3rz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 105
Default [Q] Dropped phone now reboots

Yep the wife dropped her phone and now it will reboot every so often.To me seems the power button isn't very responsive. Anyone ever run into this problem?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7385

DONATE TO ME
Moved to Q&A.
How often is it rebooting? Holding power would get a reboot every 5 seconds on the nose.
You may want to try removing any MicroSD cards and flashing the last nodata one click and see if that fixes.
Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)

TJj33p3rz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 105
3 or 4 times an hour

metalshreds
Old
Thanks Meter 5
If the power button doesn't seem very responsive and sometimes pressing the power button once actually brings up the long press menu, it is most likely the power button. I've had three of these devices have faulty power buttons and they would reboot themselves. These phones are notorious for having faulty power buttons.

Linux guy
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJj33p3rz View Post
3 or 4 times an hour

Oh yeah? I had a sidekick4g that used to reboot every 10 seconds. I figured out it was actually the button. Ripped that damn thing out. I installed nomoahr powah and that was that. Until the charging port broke. Now I have to charge the battery externally and open up the phone to make the connection with a twist tie. Its tedious and not worth it. Having said all that I think it might be a software thing. Try to wipe caches. Try factory reset if you need. If it is the button try taking an air compress and cleaning it out. Don't rip it out. Its not as straight forward as on a sidekick. It maybe (very maybe) possible to disable the key. I have never tried it...
Ask me stuff
I wont know as much as others but I will always reply

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24318

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux guy View Post
Oh yeah? I had a sidekick4g that used to reboot every 10 seconds. I figured out it was actually the button. Ripped that damn thing out. I installed nomoahr powah and that was that. Until the charging port broke. Now I have to charge the battery externally and open up the phone to make the connection with a twist tie. Its tedious and not worth it. Having said all that I think it might be a software thing. Try to wipe caches. Try factory reset if you need. If it is the button try taking an air compress and cleaning it out. Don't rip it out. Its not as straight forward as on a sidekick. It maybe (very maybe) possible to disable the key. I have never tried it...
You can disable everything but the power button long press... Which is usually what causes the problem anyway. This is the reason I upgraded to the S3.

TJj33p3rz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 105
I've took it apart cleaned it.Factory reset stock and custom ROMs tried 4 different ones still the same.Where would you recommended buying a power button from?I'm in the states Indiana.

TJj33p3rz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 105
Weird I ended up getting the wife the galaxy 3 and now that the g2 doesn't have service the phone works perfectly fine.My daughter has been playing games on it for the past 3 days and not one reboot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk