Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 51,880 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The IR Blaster and TV App

Tip us?

Roberek
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default The IR Blaster and TV App

I have to say that the IR blaster bundled with the TV app is an awesome combination. The TV app wasn't mentioned anywhere else but it performs wonderfully and has some great features.

Android The Greek
Old
Thanks Meter 336
Was like that on the m7 too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

My Beer Belly
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Yeah, I thought it was a gimmick and didn't give it much thought. But I gave it a shot the other night laying in bed and I can't believe I ignored it for so long. At night before falling asleep, I tend to just channel surf until I find something that I'll fall asleep to. The included guide that shows me sports or movies that are currently on without having to wade through hundreds of channels on the cable box's guide is amazing. Then I can just hit the tune button on the phone and it's playing on my TV in seconds.

It's so much more convenient because I typically have my phone nearby when I go to bed but could have left the remote anywhere in the bedroom. This way I have access to a better guide and I don't have to hunt for the remote in the dark.

altimax98
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Best feature few know about. While the app is open you can use the volume rockers for TV volume control. Great for when you have to hold the phone out for control and it rotates on you
Phones:
  • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9C, Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid,
  • HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid RAZR, Toro, Maguro, HTC One, Note 3
  • Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8)
Tablets/Other:
  • B&N Nook Color, HP Touchpad, iPad(2012),Nexus7 (12 & 13), Nexus 10, Toshiba Chromebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to altimax98 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ambious
Old
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Also pleasantly surprised with it. I didn't think I'd use it but it's really versatile and easy to use so I found myself using it about as much as my actual remotes, which is nice.
Even the interface and features are surprisingly good - with one gripe: I wish I could add a device that wasn't either a TV, a Topbox or a Home Cinema amp.
Code:
/phone/model/:# HTC One M8 (S-OFF)
/phone/rom/:# MaximusHD | 6.0.1 | Android 4.4.3 (2.12.401.3)
/phone/recovery/:# TWRP 2.7.1.0 Touch Recovery

/tablet/model/:# Asus Nexus 7 (2013) - 32GB LTE (deb)
/tablet/rom/:# ParanoidAndroid (Android 4.4.4) / Ubuntu Touch (Experimental)
/tablet/recovery/:# TWRP 2.7.0.0 Touch Recovery (MultiBoot Enabled!) 
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambious For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charly-whiskey
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambious View Post
Also pleasantly surprised with it. I didn't think I'd use it but it's really versatile and easy to use so I found myself using it about as much as my actual remotes, which is nice.
Even the interface and features are surprisingly good - with one gripe: I wish I could add a device that wasn't either a TV, a Topbox or a Home Cinema amp.
You can! At least you could let it learn from every remote you have. Just go to the remote app, swipe to the very most right called "more", and hit the + button.
HTC One (M8), Stock Rom 4.4.2, Sense 6,0, rooted / unlocked / S-On
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, (8020) LTE/WiFi, Stock Rom 4.1.2,

Where it all began for me: and where I am now:
The Following User Says Thank You to charly-whiskey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ambious
Old
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by charly-whiskey View Post
You can! At least you could let it learn from every remote you have. Just go to the remote app, swipe to the very most right called "more", and hit the + button.
Yeah, but it's button-by-button and is implied to be of a certain existing device, it's possible just annoying.
Still, all-in-all an excellent program.
Code:
/phone/model/:# HTC One M8 (S-OFF)
/phone/rom/:# MaximusHD | 6.0.1 | Android 4.4.3 (2.12.401.3)
/phone/recovery/:# TWRP 2.7.1.0 Touch Recovery

/tablet/model/:# Asus Nexus 7 (2013) - 32GB LTE (deb)
/tablet/rom/:# ParanoidAndroid (Android 4.4.4) / Ubuntu Touch (Experimental)
/tablet/recovery/:# TWRP 2.7.0.0 Touch Recovery (MultiBoot Enabled!) 

bit1
Old
Thanks Meter 102
You can download remote apps on the play store that work well. I downloaded one for my Apple TV and it works great

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app