Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] DNA soft bricked. Unable to boot to recovery. HELP!

OP gallasm

18th May 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
More
Well I'm an idiot and I accidentally wiped my ROM off my phone. I tried to restart the phone and of course it went into a boot loop until I held down the Vol- button and I got into the bootloader. When I try rebooting into recovery, it'll flash the TWRP splash screen for about a second then go back into a boot loop. I tried using adb to flash CWM but when I do that and try to reboot to recovery, it just flashed the CWM loading screen for a second then goes into a boot loop. It's the worst kind of feeling when you screw something up but don't know exactly what's broken. When I type in "adb devices" from the command prompt, nothing shows up but somehow it still seems like it'll flash the recovery file to the phone. If I try to flash a boot.img it gets stuck though. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. The whole reason I was trying to wipe the phone is because I'm getting ready to sell it. Now I've just got a paper-weight. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

TL;DR - Wiped my ROM and can only boot to bootloader. Can't get into recovery. ADB only kind of works.
18th May 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #2  
Flag New York

21 posts
More
Originally Posted by gallasm

Well I'm an idiot and I accidentally wiped my ROM off my phone. I tried to restart the phone and of course it went into a boot loop until I held down the Vol- button and I got into the bootloader. When I try rebooting into recovery, it'll flash the TWRP splash screen for about a second then go back into a boot loop. I tried using adb to flash CWM but when I do that and try to reboot to recovery, it just flashed the CWM loading screen for a second then goes into a boot loop. It's the worst kind of feeling when you screw something up but don't know exactly what's broken. When I type in "adb devices" from the command prompt, nothing shows up but somehow it still seems like it'll flash the recovery file to the phone. If I try to flash a boot.img it gets stuck though. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. The whole reason I was trying to wipe the phone is because I'm getting ready to sell it. Now I've just got a paper-weight. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

TL;DR - Wiped my ROM and can only boot to bootloader. Can't get into recovery. ADB only kind of works.

Do you have a factory cable?
If so, have you tried flashing the stock firmware with RSD Lite?

If you do have a cable and can't seem to get adb to recognize it with cmd, can you maybe try RSD Lite?

I had accidentally softbricked my phone a couple months ago, and figured out that I could use a factory cable and RSD Lite to flash stock firmware. Phone booted up without a problem and no more brick.
18th May 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcardslot

Do you have a factory cable?
If so, have you tried flashing the stock firmware with RSD Lite?

If you do have a cable and can't seem to get adb to recognize it with cmd, can you maybe try RSD Lite?

I had accidentally softbricked my phone a couple months ago, and figured out that I could use a factory cable and RSD Lite to flash stock firmware. Phone booted up without a problem and no more brick.

What kind of phone was it? I'm pretty sure RSD is only for Motorola phones, isn't it?
18th May 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #4  
Flag New York

21 posts
More
Lightbulb
Quote:

What kind of phone was it? I'm pretty sure RSD is only for Motorola phones, isn't it?

Most likely but ANYTHING is worth a shot if there's a %0.1 chance of working when it comes to a softbrick. Hard bricks are usually when you just give up.

Are you able to flash anything? If so:
Have you tried flashing anything from this thread? Usually flashing stock firmware in general is a surefire way to fix softbrick. (And I mean release, not anything new. Best to revert it to release firmware, then work your way up if possible.)

If not, then obviously the next step is to figure out how to flash something even though recovery has been goof'd. I'll look around a little.
18th May 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
More
Okay, I got it back to stock, mostly. I followed the instructions from this thread to get back to stock. I didn't install the lock bootloader so I think it may still be unlocked. Using fastboot I was able to flash back to a stock HBOOT then RUU back to stock. The phone is still S-Off with the unlocked bootloader, I think, but at this point I'm not going to mess with it anymore. It boots up into stock the 3.06 image so I'm just gonna leave it at that and sell the thing before I screw anything else up!
The Following User Says Thank You to gallasm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #6  
Flag New York

21 posts
More
Angry
Quote:

Okay, I got it back to stock, mostly. I followed the instructions from this thread to get back to stock. I didn't install the lock bootloader so I think it may still be unlocked. Using fastboot I was able to flash back to a stock HBOOT then RUU back to stock. The phone is still S-Off with the unlocked bootloader, I think, but at this point I'm not going to mess with it anymore. It boots up into stock the 3.06 image so I'm just gonna leave it at that and sell the thing before I screw anything else up!

Glad to hear, man! I hope you enjoy the money you make.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, boot loop, dna, recovery, soft bricked
Previous Thread Next Thread