Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems pushing ROMs to my M8

Tip us?

chobungus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Problems pushing ROMs to my M8

I want to start off saying that I'm a complete noob to this and I now realize I was stupid for biting of waaay more than I can chew.

I turned s-off and rooted using firewater exploit. I installed ViperOne with TWRP and all was well, until I decided I wanted to try Android Revolution HD (here) I stupidly decided that in addition to wiping the normal stuff, I would just format. I backed up to my pc just by copying everything into a folder (downloads, pictures, etc) and I wiped it. Now I've got the ROM on my computer and I'm trying to put it on the phone. I've tried using adb sideloader, and adb push but neither are working (I'm fairly certain I typed everything in correctly in cmd.)

How can I install ANY rom so that I can download with the phone and install from TWRP without formatting?

jova33
Old
Thanks Meter 141
you've booted into recovery, and you're unable to adb push the rom.zip to your internal storage?

adb push romname.zip /media/data/0

chobungus
Old
(Last edited by chobungus; 17th May 2014 at 05:48 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
you've booted into recovery, and you're unable to adb push the rom.zip to your internal storage?

adb push romname.zip /media/data/0
Yes when I type that line into the cmd and press enter, nothing happens. No feedback at all, it just moves the cursor to the next line. I do have the rom in the same directory as adb and I did type it correctly into cmd. I attached an image of what it looks like.

>EDIT: spoke too soon. After nothing happened for a few minutes the cmd said "protocol failure"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2748926  

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobungus View Post
Yes when I type that line into the cmd and press enter, nothing happens. No feedback at all, it just moves the cursor to the next line. I do have the rom in the same directory as adb and I did type it correctly into cmd. I attached an image of what it looks like.

>EDIT: spoke too soon. After nothing happened for a few minutes the cmd said "protocol failure"
You probably didn't have USB debugging enabled, do you have access to a micro SD card?

If you do, load the rom onto that and flash from there.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

chobungus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well I was able to get it working, but as usual, I don't really know how. I redownloaded adb and the rom and restarted my computer. Tried the exact same sideload command and it worked.