Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] to s-off or not s-off

OP sheek360

16th May 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55

1,101 posts
I unlocked via the htc site, rooted running a gpe rom (not the conversion)

I know that s-off can grant a completely unlocked phone. But i dont really need that. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what are the advantages? Im not into xposed or gravity box and i dont need my phone carrier unlocked.

will my lack of s-off hinder me from flashing radios and/or newer versions of twrp?

if someone can break this down for me, I would appreciate it
16th May 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,360

7,739 posts
S-off isn't needed to:

- Flash TWRP
- To achieve root
- Flash ROMs

S-off benefits:
- Needed to flash radios (SuperCID also needed to flash a radio that does not match your version)
- Needed to SIM unlock
- Needed to flash modified hboot (such as to remove the red warning text form boot screen)
- Needed to flash firmware components (not the ROM)
- Allows you to run any RUU (other carriers, or even previous RUUs, which is not normally allowed by version check)

The last one is important, since s-off essentially gives you more recovery options if things go south.

But s-off means all security checks are off by definition. This even includes device check, which means flashing a ROM or mod for another device is possible. I've seen folks flash a ROM for a different device with s-off, and brick their phones (due to different partitioning, etc.). As long as you are very careful to only flash things intended for our device, you will be fine. But anyone with s-off (or interested in s-off) needs to understand this.
Last edited by redpoint73; 16th May 2014 at 06:20 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 67

473 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheek360

I unlocked via the htc site, rooted running a gpe rom (not the conversion)

I know that s-off can grant a completely unlocked phone. But i dont really need that. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what are the advantages? Im not into xposed or gravity box and i dont need my phone carrier unlocked.

will my lack of s-off hinder me from flashing radios and/or newer versions of twrp?

if someone can break this down for me, I would appreciate it

I'm new to HTC coming from Samsung but I believe for a permanent Uninstall on system apps you need S-OFF. Freezing bloat doesn't always do it for me. Some junk I'd just rather get rid of it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
16th May 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55

1,101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

S-off isn't needed to:

- Flash TWRP
- To achieve root
- Flash ROMs

S-off benefits:
- Needed to flash radios (SuperCID also needed to flash a radio that does not match your version)
- Needed to SIM unlock
- Needed to flash modified hboot (such as to remove the red warning text form boot screen)
- Needed to flash firmware components (not the ROM)
- Allows you to run any RUU (other carriers, or even previous RUUs, which is not normally allowed by version check)

The last one is important, since s-off essentially gives you more recovery options if things go south.

But s-off means all security checks are off by definition. This even includes device check, which means flashing a ROM or mod for another device is possible. I've seen folks flash a ROM for a different device with s-off, and brick their phones (due to different partitioning, etc.). As long as you are very careful to only flash things intended for our device, you will be fine. But anyone with s-off (or interested in s-off) needs to understand this.

Thanks for the explanation
19th May 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #5  
Flag midland
Thanks Meter: 57

340 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith0731

I'm new to HTC coming from Samsung but I believe for a permanent Uninstall on system apps you need S-OFF. Freezing bloat doesn't always do it for me. Some junk I'd just rather get rid of it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

you only need r/w access to completely unistall apps.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread