Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,841 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root & Accessing System Files for M8

Tip us?

whatfalcon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Root & Accessing System Files for M8

Hey, y'all. First time poster. Fairly long-time lurker

Just got my new Verizon M8. And I applied the weaksauce root to it. Root checker tells me I have root. I don't have S-OFF yet (because it's not working, but that's besides the point for now, but that might be related? I have no idea, yo)

I'm currently just trying to rename the HTC emojis font in the system folder using the Root Browser from ROM Toolbox, however, upon booting up the Root Browser, it asks me to download some utilities. When I say yes, a progress bar shows up, and then disappears. Any attempts to Remove/rename the offending font file result in nothing happening.

Is there anyway to verify that the root that I have actually gives me su permissions for the phone? I figured being able to mess around with system files would be part of that.

Thanks.

adavit
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I'm pretty sure writing and removing from the system requires both s-off and a kernel that has the writing capability.

whatfalcon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavit View Post
I'm pretty sure writing and removing from the system requires both s-off and a kernel that has the writing capability.
Bah. Well, my attempts at running firewater to get S-OFF get me to Bottle 2 and then it just dumps me back at my command prompt with no errors and my phone turning off.

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatfalcon View Post
Bah. Well, my attempts at running firewater to get S-OFF get me to Bottle 2 and then it just dumps me back at my command prompt with no errors and my phone turning off.
It'll work. Try resetting the device multiple times and re downloading the firewater file from a different browser (internet explorer has reported more success than chrome or Firefox)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,

whatfalcon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34 View Post
It'll work. Try resetting the device multiple times and re downloading the firewater file from a different browser (internet explorer has reported more success than chrome or Firefox)

Right on, I'll keep trying. More of the same so far, though...

It might have something to do with the fact that the phone started updating with an OTA update when I put it down to poop after I took it out of the box

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Right on, I'll keep trying. More of the same so far, though...

It might have something to do with the fact that the phone started updating with an OTA update when I put it down to poop after I took it out of the box
It'll still work with the OTA . Make sure adb is still getting root access. If the bottles are chugging you most likely are

Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,

whatfalcon
Old
(Last edited by whatfalcon; 19th May 2014 at 05:20 AM.) Reason: asd
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34 View Post
It'll still work with the OTA . Make sure adb is still getting root access. If the bottles are chugging you most likely are

Yeah. I haven't tried factory-resetting/safe mode with the thing before trying this. Would that help?

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Yeah. I haven't tried factory-resetting/safe mode with the thing before trying this. Would that help?
Safe mode wouldn't. The binary needs root access and safe mode disables third party apps. Factory reset would most likely help if all else failed. There was a user in here who had two m8's, one worked right away and the second took four factory resets until it worked. Quirky, but just keep at it. It'll work eventually