Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Root & Accessing System Files for M8

OP whatfalcon

19th May 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hey, y'all. First time poster. Fairly long-time lurker

Just got my new Verizon M8. And I applied the weaksauce root to it. Root checker tells me I have root. I don't have S-OFF yet (because it's not working, but that's besides the point for now, but that might be related? I have no idea, yo)

I'm currently just trying to rename the HTC emojis font in the system folder using the Root Browser from ROM Toolbox, however, upon booting up the Root Browser, it asks me to download some utilities. When I say yes, a progress bar shows up, and then disappears. Any attempts to Remove/rename the offending font file result in nothing happening.

Is there anyway to verify that the root that I have actually gives me su permissions for the phone? I figured being able to mess around with system files would be part of that.

Thanks.
19th May 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #2  
Flag Lima
Thanks Meter: 40

219 posts
More
I'm pretty sure writing and removing from the system requires both s-off and a kernel that has the writing capability.
19th May 2014, 05:12 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavit

I'm pretty sure writing and removing from the system requires both s-off and a kernel that has the writing capability.

Bah. Well, my attempts at running firewater to get S-OFF get me to Bottle 2 and then it just dumps me back at my command prompt with no errors and my phone turning off.
19th May 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #4  
Flag San Antonio, TX
Thanks Meter: 156

636 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatfalcon

Bah. Well, my attempts at running firewater to get S-OFF get me to Bottle 2 and then it just dumps me back at my command prompt with no errors and my phone turning off.

It'll work. Try resetting the device multiple times and re downloading the firewater file from a different browser (internet explorer has reported more success than chrome or Firefox)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
19th May 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34

It'll work. Try resetting the device multiple times and re downloading the firewater file from a different browser (internet explorer has reported more success than chrome or Firefox)

Right on, I'll keep trying. More of the same so far, though...

It might have something to do with the fact that the phone started updating with an OTA update when I put it down to poop after I took it out of the box
19th May 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #6  
Flag San Antonio, TX

636 posts
More
Quote:

Right on, I'll keep trying. More of the same so far, though...

It might have something to do with the fact that the phone started updating with an OTA update when I put it down to poop after I took it out of the box

It'll still work with the OTA . Make sure adb is still getting root access. If the bottles are chugging you most likely are

19th May 2014, 06:12 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34

It'll still work with the OTA . Make sure adb is still getting root access. If the bottles are chugging you most likely are

Yeah. I haven't tried factory-resetting/safe mode with the thing before trying this. Would that help?
Last edited by whatfalcon; 19th May 2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: asd
19th May 2014, 06:24 AM   |  #8  
Flag San Antonio, TX

636 posts
More
Quote:

Yeah. I haven't tried factory-resetting/safe mode with the thing before trying this. Would that help?

Safe mode wouldn't. The binary needs root access and safe mode disables third party apps. Factory reset would most likely help if all else failed. There was a user in here who had two m8's, one worked right away and the second took four factory resets until it worked. Quirky, but just keep at it. It'll work eventually

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread