Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 48,004 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tethering issues - Update

Tip us?

landaile
Old
(Last edited by landaile; 14th May 2014 at 03:34 PM.) Reason: Further Information
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] Tethering issues - Update

I have a bit of an odd issue. Tethering with WiFi Tether Router app from the stop has been working until last week. Both LTE and 3G. Then last week I had the infamous 3G issue. I did a factory reset and when that didn't work I tried a profile update (I know probably backwards). After the profile update 3G works great. However, this week when I tried to tether things went south. It connects fine to the AP, you can do a dns lookup and it succeeds, Skype connects, torrents work great, but you can't get to any websites at all. Tethering with 3G works fine other than the fact that it's slow. I have tried on stock rooted by Capt, Bad Boyz, and CM. All of them worked last week, but none of them work this week. Fabio from the tether app suggested I look at the APN settings and make sure that default,supl,mms,dun were all set up as APN types. When I took a look in there only default and hipri were set as types. The strange thing is that it seemed to work for a little bit after initially setting that up. Now its back to not working. I can telnet to port 80 on servers that I know are web sites and I get the expected results back, so I know the router is passing port 80 traffic, it just wont allow an actual website to download. I have tried to connect a surface, Windows Phone, and a Windows laptop and all get the same results so I am fairly certain it isn't on the connecting device side.

Anyone have any thoughts or has anyone seen this?

Update ---
This morning when I went in to work I decided to give it a try again because that was the last location where it worked. It appears this issue may be location specific. In downtown San Antonio none of the tethering methods work with 4G but in the far west (SeaWorld) tethering 4G works...

kaosb0x
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Man I have the same damn problem, It's almost like Sprint is blocking certain things, we know for a fact they cap LTE, which sux cuz I like sprint they have good plans

Jerz201
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosb0x View Post
Man I have the same damn problem, It's almost like Sprint is blocking certain things, we know for a fact they cap LTE, which sux cuz I like sprint they have good plans
Can you throw up a link about them capping LTE?
I haven't been able to get tether to work for me and I wonder if this is one of the reasons.