Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 39,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.

Tip us?

tw3ak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.

Hey guys, new owner of the Verizon Note 3.

Love the phone and everything is fast and great.

I'm on 4.3 MJE and rooted. Safestrap installed with no slots, just the stock. Wanted to be able to make backups and have the recovery option.

Just this morning my Note 3 stopped letting open the settings from any angle. From notification panel or anywhere else.
It immediately closes and shows the message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"

I tried rebooting to safestrap and wiping cache and dalvik cache.
no fix.

I have some system apps frozen with Titanium backup, but have defrosted the ones I very recently froze to see if that helped. And still not able to get into settings.

Any advice? I'm sure you all appreciate how much of a pain in the butt it is to factory reset or flash and start over! I hate reconfiguring my apps and settings! So if that can be avoided in any way I'd be soooo happy!

Thanks!
tw3ak.

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw3ak View Post
Hey guys, new owner of the Verizon Note 3.

Love the phone and everything is fast and great.

I'm on 4.3 MJE and rooted. Safestrap installed with no slots, just the stock. Wanted to be able to make backups and have the recovery option.

Just this morning my Note 3 stopped letting open the settings from any angle. From notification panel or anywhere else.
It immediately closes and shows the message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"

I tried rebooting to safestrap and wiping cache and dalvik cache.
no fix.

I have some system apps frozen with Titanium backup, but have defrosted the ones I very recently froze to see if that helped. And still not able to get into settings.

Any advice? I'm sure you all appreciate how much of a pain in the butt it is to factory reset or flash and start over! I hate reconfiguring my apps and settings! So if that can be avoided in any way I'd be soooo happy!

Thanks!
tw3ak.
I'm pretty sure you need to reboot after unfreezing; you didn't mention if you did that.

The best way to avoid this kind of situation is to make Nandroid backups before you start tw3aking. Sure they are huge, but look at your situation now. You can always delete them after some time after it is clear they are not needed, but you can't create them out of thin air when it is too late.

So, before you make things even worse with further experimentation, make a Nandroid right now of your semi-broken setup. If you break things even further trying to fix this current problem, at least you can go back to where you are right now. You might want to make an TiBu market app/data backup as well and get the TiBu backups onto external media in case you need to go all the way back to Odin.

Dump your logcat after the "Settings" crash. There will be further clues there (possibly undecipherable, but hey.) Post that up to pastebin.com for others to look at if you don't grok it. (but scrub any personal data in there first). If you don't already have USB debugging turned on, you can use a terminal emulator or a Logcat capture app.

# logcat -c (to clear the log)
( force the settings crash)
# logcat -v threadtime > /sdcard/my_logcat_after_settings_crash.txt

There is a chance that it is something simple, e.g. one of the sqlite databases in /data/data/com.android.settings is corrupted, but the various Activities that are launched from underneath "Settings" touch stuff all over the /data partition (e.g. /data/misc and elsewhere). From where you are right now, there is no way to know whether your problem is due to:

(1) a problem in /system
(2) a problem in /data
(1+2) both

your turn.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

tw3ak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Restored nandroid backup

Thanks for all the tips!

With some reluctance I managed to move to a much older backup i forgot I made and the settings works fine again!

those backups are a life saver.

Thanks again.
tw3ak.

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 794
Glad you got it fixed.

I had something similar happen last night - I accidentally fat-fingered a language change, and every time I went back in to fix it (Settings -> Language & Input), Settings would crash. (This is on MJ7)

Took a while to manually figure out how to fix it (Doh, /data/property/persist.sys.language) without restoring a backup. I didn't mention it here right away because your symptoms sounded different - Settings was crashing for me only when I went in to the Language & Input sub-menu)
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

ronaldheld
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Try using SS 3.65 and not the newest version and see if that fixes the problem.

arunara
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
Glad you got it fixed.

I had something similar happen last night - I accidentally fat-fingered a language change, and every time I went back in to fix it (Settings -> Language & Input), Settings would crash. (This is on MJ7)

Took a while to manually figure out how to fix it (Doh, /data/property/persist.sys.language) without restoring a backup. I didn't mention it here right away because your symptoms sounded different - Settings was crashing for me only when I went in to the Language & Input sub-menu)
i have the same problem. setting was crashing everytime i went to language & input. can u help me to ix it?
Tags
close, crash, reset, root, titanium