Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Note 3 rooted with Kingo v1.1.2.1770 - Safe to take Kitkat upgrade?

OP stonypass

17th May 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
I have a Verizon Note 3 SM-900V MJE that's on stock Android 4.3 and Kernel 3.4.0

Its been rooted with Kingo v1.1.2.1770 and has downloaded Kitkat 4.4 Software version N900VVRUCNC4

Is it safe for me to take the upgrade with the phone rooted?
If not, should I attempt to un-root with the same version of Kingo, a later version of it or something else before letting the phone take the upgrade?

Do the problems with not being able to write to an SD card still exist?
Is there currently any way around this?


Thanks for all advice
17th May 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #2  
Misterxtc's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Syracuse, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,171
 
1,257 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass

I have a Verizon Note 3 SM-900V MJE that's on stock Android 4.3 and Kernel 3.4.0

Its been rooted with Kingo v1.1.2.1770 and has downloaded Kitkat 4.4 Software version N900VVRUCNC4

Is it safe for me to take the upgrade with the phone rooted?
If not, should I attempt to un-root with the same version of Kingo, a later version of it or something else before letting the phone take the upgrade?

Do the problems with not being able to write to an SD card still exist?
Is there currently any way around this?


Thanks for all advice

If you want to keep root and have the ability to flash back to MJE use this method. If you take the OTA you might be able to keep root but you will not have the option to go back to MJE if you don't like KK. Also if something goes wrong after taking the OTA and you need to Odin back to stock you will most likely loose root because there is no known root method for KitKat 4.4.2 except by the leaked NC2 that I linked you to.
Added: With NC2 you can roll back to MJE and regain root if needed. Also the SD card write is fixed in NC2.
Last edited by Misterxtc; 17th May 2014 at 09:56 PM.
18th May 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
So, if I let the phone take the upgrade I'll still be rooted?

Any chance the upgrade will brick the phone since I'm rooted?

Thinking of taking the upgrade the installing SDFix so I can still write to my SD card.
18th May 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #4  
Misterxtc's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Syracuse, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,171
 
1,257 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonypass

So, if I let the phone take the upgrade I'll still be rooted?

Any chance the upgrade will brick the phone since I'm rooted?

Thinking of taking the upgrade the installing SDFix so I can still write to my SD card.

From what I have heard the OTA will either install or not, no bricking. There is a big possibility you will loose root taking the OTA. Trust me you are WAY better off with the NC2 leak but that's your choice if you want to take the risk of having root or not. KK 4.4.3 or 4.5 is coming soon and from what I am hearing it's locked down tight. That is all these "updates" are doing is locking the phones down so we can not achieve root anymore. This is the way Verizon, AT&T and Google want it and from the looks of things they will get it sooner than everyone thinks.
19th May 2014, 07:44 AM   |  #5  
gotghost29's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc

From what I have heard the OTA will either install or not, no bricking. There is a big possibility you will loose root taking the OTA. Trust me you are WAY better off with the NC2 leak but that's your choice if you want to take the risk of having root or not. KK 4.4.3 or 4.5 is coming soon and from what I am hearing it's locked down tight. That is all these "updates" are doing is locking the phones down so we can not achieve root anymore. This is the way Verizon, AT&T and Google want it and from the looks of things they will get it sooner than everyone thinks.

That's what I hear also... this is no good for us power users...

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes