Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,193 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting Verizon Note II (4.3 Stock)

Tip us?

Byrne3155
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooting Verizon Note II (4.3 Stock)

Hey guys,

so I had rooted my Note II quite a while back with CM 11 I believe, and all worked well except my GPS didn't work. After every possible fix I just said screw it and went months with no GPS. I finally got sick of it and decided to just start fresh and went back to stock 4.1. My idiot self though did the Verizon updates all the way to 4.3....

I've been reading around and rooting my phone now that it's on 4.3 seems pretty difficult - is there any for sure methods yet so I can root it and if I decide to, flash a ROM?

It's 4.3 currently and the kernel is: 3.0.31

Thanks guys

Reilly1812
Old
Thanks Meter 122
saferoot is easy and will work if you are running stock MJ9.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly1812 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Byrne3155
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1812 View Post
saferoot is easy and will work if you are running stock MJ9.

I found "SafeStrap": http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2704992

Is this what you're referring to, otherwise, mind pointing me in the direction of "SafeRoot"? Not able to find it.

I tried SafeStrap but after installing and running it on my phone, everything is disabled and it says "State: Not Rooted".

Reilly1812
Old
Thanks Meter 122
search for saferoot. probably show up in the gs 3 forums. works like a champ once you get past getting the drivers right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly1812 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Byrne3155
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1812 View Post
search for saferoot. probably show up in the gs 3 forums. works like a champ once you get past getting the drivers right.

No luck unfortunately

It started sending the files and then said:

Your kernel is patched!
This device is not supported.

Then it cleans phone up and ends.

If needed, here's the info on the phone i'm running:

Model: SCH-I605
Android Version: 4.3 (Un-rooted)
Kernel Version: 3.0.31: se.infra@R0301-12#1
Build Number: JSS15J.I605VRUAND3

mattnmag
Old
Thanks Meter 36
@Byrne3155,

Because you're on very latest build (VRUAND3), saferoot will not work.

Other users are reporting that they successfully used ODIN to restore their phone to the 4.3/MJ9 build....which saferoot does work for. (See this thread.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360 ).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Device:
-Verizon Samsung Note II
-Android Version 4.1.2 / VRAMC3
-TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.1

Past Devices:
Verizon Samsung S3
Verizon Droid Charge
Asus TF201
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattnmag For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Byrne3155
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 1726

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag View Post
@Byrne3155,

Because you're on very latest build (VRUAND3), saferoot will not work.

Other users are reporting that they successfully used ODIN to restore their phone to the 4.3/MJ9 build....which saferoot does work for. (See this thread.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360 ).

I'm just hitting bad luck apparently. I utilized Odin and followed: Section 1b: How to return to stock 4.X Jelly Bean coming from any rom with Odin

It worked, I confirmed my build is now MJ9:

JSS15J.I605VRUEMJ9

So I downloaded the SafeStrap from this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2693131), allowed Unknown source installs, installed it, opened it, and just like before everything is disabled:

State: Not Rooted
Safe system: Not Active

mattnmag
Old
Thanks Meter 36
@Byrne3155,

Good job with restoring back to MJ9.

You are confusing safestrap and saferoot---they sound similar but are totally different. safeStrap won't help you gain root access because it's not used to root a phone....it is used to help someone load a custom Rom After gaining root.

You will need to use safeRoot to gain root access. Here's the link to saferoot-- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48392009

I would really encourage you to do more reading and really learn the differences between saferoot and safestrap before you do a lot more to your phone. I'd hate to hear you report back later that you ended up bricking your phone.

Good luck if you decide to continue with your rooting adventures .

Current Device:
-Verizon Samsung Note II
-Android Version 4.1.2 / VRAMC3
-TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.1

Past Devices:
Verizon Samsung S3
Verizon Droid Charge
Asus TF201
The Following User Says Thank You to mattnmag For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Byrne3155
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag View Post
@Byrne3155,

Good job with restoring back to MJ9.

You are confusing safestrap and saferoot---they sound similar but are totally different. safeStrap won't help you gain root access because it's not used to root a phone....it is used to help someone load a custom Rom After gaining root.

You will need to use safeRoot to gain root access. Here's the link to saferoot-- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48392009

I would really encourage you to do more reading and really learn the differences between saferoot and safestrap before you do a lot more to your phone. I'd hate to hear you report back later that you ended up bricking your phone.

Good luck if you decide to continue with your rooting adventures .

Yikes, sorry about that I'm an idiot ha. I got the two mixed you're right.

I'm fairly comfortable with rooting and the whole process, but the VZW Note II definitely played tough since I made the error of using the OTA updates all the day zzz.

I'll work on this again later making sure I use correct tool this time (saferoot).

Thanks again