Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,170 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] PA without gapps possible?

Tip us?

lafranconi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] PA without gapps possible?

I am planning to flash PA to my old Nexus 7 (Tilapia) without gapps. The idea is to find out whether an Android device can be decoupled from Google. And whether such a device can still be used in a normal day to day scenario for surfing, mail, contacts ...

There are many apps out there which could be used instead of the apps in the gapps package (i.e. play store => f-droid, mail => k-9, chrome => firefox, maps => navit / OsmAnd, ...). And with a simple raspberry pi and owncloud also some of the google services can be replaced by an self hosted solution.

What are your thoughts on this:
- Is this possible in principle with PA?
- What should I watch out for when setting up the N7?
- Any other suggestions?

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6206

DONATE TO ME
Of course you can do it. The ROM is functional without gapps

Sent from my Nexus 5

Prolifik2k3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I don't know what it is you should be watching out for when trying your experiment but I believe it can be done. You'll have to use a 3rd party app store to download the apps you want to replace the stock apps with (k-9, etc). But once you start doing that, what's the point?

To prove you don't need to use Google Branded apps? Just root your device, install Titanium and freeze all the google apps. Same thing, right?

lafranconi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just flashed PA without gapps. Added some great Apps from f-droid. Everything works great. Next steps will be to Conect to a dropbox server.

Currently I am getting a notification that a new system update, a new gapps version is available. Can I somehow disable in PA the check for new gapp versions?

Thanks!

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6206

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafranconi View Post
Just flashed PA without gapps. Added some great Apps from f-droid. Everything works great. Next steps will be to Conect to a dropbox server.

Currently I am getting a notification that a new system update, a new gapps version is available. Can I somehow disable in PA the check for new gapp versions?

Thanks!
Just set it in the ota app...

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirateghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lafranconi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Just set it in the ota app...
Thanks Pirateghost, just found it.

lafranconi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am currently running into two issues:
  1. I installed the "920 text editor" via f-droid. But when I try to start it the app it opens for a nearly a second and then a error window says >"920 Text Editor" wurde beendet.< (I am using a German system; translation something like >"920 Text Editor" was stopped.<). Is there a log file which could provide more information why this application was not able to start?
  2. I paired my German bluetooth keyboard (QWERTZ layout) with the nexus. But unlike to stock Android in PA they keyboard is mapped with the American layout (QWERTY layout). So some keys are not inline with the labelling. I did not find a way to change the used layout in the settings. Any ideas?