Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,241 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to change the 4G DNS servers on Verizon Galaxy S4 android 4.3

Tip us?

backsidesmack
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] How to change the 4G DNS servers on Verizon Galaxy S4 android 4.3

I need the OpenDNS Family Shield servers on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, version 4.3 and it is rooted. I looked for the typical Linux files and found none. There are paid apps on Google Play that do it, but why that when I'm a Linux user and I should be able to do it manually.

Remember that we common folk own the OS as it is open source and that means I have the right to change the DNS servers to the ones I want. Can anyone help me

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1523

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by backsidesmack View Post
I need the OpenDNS Family Shield servers on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, version 4.3 and it is rooted. I looked for the typical Linux files and found none. There are paid apps on Google Play that do it, but why that when I'm a Linux user and I should be able to do it manually.

Remember that we common folk own the OS as it is open source and that means I have the right to change the DNS servers to the ones I want. Can anyone help me
/system/etc/resolv.conf

It currently has 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which are the google nameservers. Edit as you see fit.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

backsidesmack
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
/system/etc/resolv.conf

It currently has 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which are the google nameservers. Edit as you see fit.
resolv.conf does not exist on my system. I am using the us version.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1523

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by backsidesmack View Post
resolv.conf does not exist on my system. I am using the us version.
I have a Verizon SCH-i545. /system/etc/resolv.conf most definitely exists. However, some Google searches lead me to wonder if that's actually used.

However, it can't actually hurt to try creating a /system/etc/resolv.conf to see if it gets used or not.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

backsidesmack
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Tried SetDNS Pro from app store, No go

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
I have a Verizon SCH-i545. /system/etc/resolv.conf most definitely exists. However, some Google searches lead me to wonder if that's actually used.

However, it can't actually hurt to try creating a /system/etc/resolv.conf to see if it gets used or not.
I tried SetDNS Pro from the app store. It correctly sets the DNS servers to the ones I want. However using # getprop shows 4 nameservers. My two that I want and two IPV6 nameservers. Android must be prefering the IPV6 servers over the IPV4 servers. It's possible that the IPV6 servers are simply faster and android is falling back to them. I now need a way to tell android to not set IPV6 servers in the DNS settings. I'm almost there!

k1mu I created a resolv.conf file and it's possible that is why my servers are now listed by # getprop and it may be that app had nothing to do with it. For the longest time SetDNS Pro worked. Verizon did something sneaky.