MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

[Q] Questions about rooting with Knox (Lots of misinformation out there)

19th May 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
More
I own a T-mobile Galaxy S4 that is currently on android 4.3 with the MK2 modem flashed via oden and an MDL bootloader. I am planning to send off my device for warranty repair to Samsung. I know they normally update to the most recent android version etc. (4.4.2).

I have been combing through the threads on here and androidcentral to try to find an answers that is clear but I haven't found it. Essentially I want to know if they return my phone with 4.4.2 (which will be bootloader locked and knox enabled) if I can do the following.

1. Install TWRP or recovery environments. (some threads said you can't and that full root is not achievable to use Titaniumbackup etc.)
2. Downgrade to 4.3 if needed
3. Flash custom roms (eyeing up Insane Kit Kat V8 NB4 )
4. Will I have to use CH-AUTOROOT and with that will I be able to use TWRP
5. If anyone could point me to a thread that instructs on how to root in this scenario - that would be hugely helpful!

I appreciate anyone who can take the time to write back with answers to my questions.
19th May 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 3,887

4,928 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chcguy88

I own a T-mobile Galaxy S4 that is currently on android 4.3 with the MK2 modem flashed via oden and an MDL bootloader. I am planning to send off my device for warranty repair to Samsung. I know they normally update to the most recent android version etc. (4.4.2).

I have been combing through the threads on here and androidcentral to try to find an answers that is clear but I haven't found it. Essentially I want to know if they return my phone with 4.4.2 (which will be bootloader locked and knox enabled) if I can do the following.

1. Install TWRP or recovery environments. (some threads said you can't and that full root is not achievable to use Titaniumbackup etc.)
2. Downgrade to 4.3 if needed
3. Flash custom roms (eyeing up Insane Kit Kat V8 NB4 )
4. Will I have to use CH-AUTOROOT and with that will I be able to use TWRP
5. If anyone could point me to a thread that instructs on how to root in this scenario - that would be hugely helpful!

I appreciate anyone who can take the time to write back with answers to my questions.

Yes.

Sort of. You can't get teh 4.3 bootloader back or use older modems, which means you can't restore to stock 4.2 using Odin. You should be able to flash older custom roms though.

Yes.

Yes.

Search button.
19th May 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

Yes.

Sort of. You can't get teh 4.3 bootloader back or use older modems, which means you can't restore to stock 4.2 using Odin. You should be able to flash older custom roms though.

Yes.

Yes.

Search button.

As a fellow baltimorean (or as I like to say baltimoron) thanks Skipjacks for the reply! It definitively sets my mind at ease when sending this phone in.
19th May 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 3,887

4,928 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chcguy88

As a fellow baltimorean (or as I like to say baltimoron) thanks Skipjacks for the reply! It definitively sets my mind at ease when sending this phone in.

No problem, buddy. Here's a few wallappers I've made over the years that a fellow Bawlmoron might appreciate.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1942423
19th May 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #5  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 717

2,236 posts
More
You don't even need root to flash and use a custom recovery, so that tells you something..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
19th May 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

No problem, buddy. Here's a few wallappers I've made over the years that a fellow Bawlmoron might appreciate.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1942423

Those are some really nice walls! Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread