Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,559 Members 40,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] So, I'm rooted but...

Tip us?
 
ibphantom
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2012
Red face [Q] So, I'm rooted but...

I can't flash a recovery. What are some cool things I can do with the phone on just root. Any apps I should definitely download?
 
mikeman45
Old
#2  
mikeman45's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2,145
Posts: 1,450
Join Date: Oct 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibphantom View Post
I can't flash a recovery. What are some cool things I can do with the phone on just root. Any apps I should definitely download?
You can get rid of all the bloatware that comes pre installed on the phone. You can enable certain features that are built into the code but not in use by stock. You can Flash custom Roms, themes, boot animations, and kernels. You also can install ad blockers to banish those annoying ads and just overall take back control of YOUR phone. There are 2 apps I always use (titanium backup and root explorer). There are other free apps out there like root explorer but I am so used to the app and love the features I wouldn't give it up. Also maybe look into apps like rom toolbox or android tuner. They have a ton of useful features and help eliminate having a bunch of root apps.

Sent from my Wicked GS3
 
XdrummerXboy
Old
#3  
XdrummerXboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 309
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman45 View Post
You can get rid of all the bloatware that comes pre installed on the phone. You can enable certain features that are built into the code but not in use by stock. You can Flash custom Roms, themes, boot animations, and kernels. You also can install ad blockers to banish those annoying ads and just overall take back control of YOUR phone. There are 2 apps I always use (titanium backup and root explorer). There are other free apps out there like root explorer but I am so used to the app and love the features I wouldn't give it up. Also maybe look into apps like rom toolbox or android tuner. They have a ton of useful features and help eliminate having a bunch of root apps.

Sent from my Wicked GS3
Without a custom recovery he can't install other ROMs correct? Or can you still do it through Odin?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app
Sent from Galaxy SIII running CM11
 
BadUsername
Old
#4  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 694
Posts: 1,404
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by XdrummerXboy View Post
Without a custom recovery he can't install other ROMs correct? Or can you still do it through Odin?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app
Safestrap allows custom rom flashing, 4.3 TouchWiz only though.

That is a custom recovery.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mikeman45
Old
(Last edited by mikeman45; 22nd May 2014 at 03:54 PM.)
#5  
mikeman45's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2,145
Posts: 1,450
Join Date: Oct 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by XdrummerXboy View Post
Without a custom recovery he can't install other ROMs correct? Or can you still do it through Odin?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app
Right without recovery no custom roms but as bad user name said safe strap allows for this. He still can debloat the nonsense Verizon and Samsung apps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes