Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,610 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wiped /system accidentally, no .zip on device - help?

Tip us?

habylab
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 624
Arrow [Q] Wiped /system accidentally, no .zip on device - help?

Hi there,

I stupidly downloaded the latest SlimKat .zip onto my nexus 7, but with the file for my i9300, so obviously it does not boot.

Now, I haven't done this in a while apart from a toolkit, but is there a way to push the file via adb? I can boot into twrp and go Advanced, Adb sideload, but then it doesn't seem to 'complete', and I can't find the device from my computer, despite it showing in fastboot when I am in that mode; it does not in adb.

I know I can wipe to factory image, will that COMPLETELY wipe my device? As in, all my downloaded files, titanium backup etc.? Or just /data? I'd like to backup my internal sdcard if at all possible.

To sum up, wiped /system, but no .zip currently on device. Can I remedy this without losing pictures/titanium backup?

Thank you,
Habylab

Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM11 - Archi Kernel.
Nexus 7 - 4.4 Kang - Ak

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 21st May 2014 at 05:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by habylab View Post
Hi there,

I stupidly downloaded the latest SlimKat .zip onto my nexus 7, but with the file for my i9300, so obviously it does not boot.

Now, I haven't done this in a while apart from a toolkit, but is there a way to push the file via adb? I can boot into twrp and go Advanced, Adb sideload, but then it doesn't seem to 'complete', and I can't find the device from my computer, despite it showing in fastboot when I am in that mode; it does not in adb.

I know I can wipe to factory image, will that COMPLETELY wipe my device? As in, all my downloaded files, titanium backup etc.? Or just /data? I'd like to backup my internal sdcard if at all possible.

To sum up, wiped /system, but no .zip currently on device. Can I remedy this without losing pictures/titanium backup?

Thank you,
Habylab
A factory reset wipes the data and cache, any changes made to the system will still be there after a factory reset. Flashing the complete factory image will also wipe everything. The userdata.img inside the factory image is what wipes everything. You could flash all the images inside the factory image separately except for the userdata image and your data will stay intact.

If you can see it in fastboot just fastboot flash the system.img and the boot.img. Get the "correct" system.img and boot.img (you have to extract the images from a factory image) and put them inside the platform-tools folder of the sdk, manually put your device in fastboot, plug it in to the computer, shift-right click from inside the platform-tools folder, choose "Open command window here," type fastboot devices and you should see your device, type fastboot flash boot boot.img, hit enter then fastboot flash system system.img hit enter. Type fastboot reboot hit enter and your device should reboot normally! All of your data will still be intact. This might be useful 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.3, I personally have the full sdk installed but I did try the ADB installer on my brother's laptop a few months ago.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!
Tags
/system wipe, brick, flo, plz