Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,277 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downgrading from 4.3?

Tip us?

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
What ROM are you running on your phone right now?

You have a 4.3 bootloader, forget about trying to use an ICS ROM.

Just flash Philz Touch in Odin and flash a custom ROM that is either Kit Kat or a ROM based off Samsung's stock 4.3. By doing this, you will have a customizable ROM and root at the same time.

For battery life, you may have to try many ROMs before finding a ROM with good battery life on your phone.

imNooby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
What ROM are you running on your phone right now?

You have a 4.3 bootloader, forget about trying to use an ICS ROM.

Just flash Philz Touch in Odin and flash a custom ROM that is either Kit Kat or a ROM based off Samsung's stock 4.3. By doing this, you will have a customizable ROM and root at the same time.

For battery life, you may have to try many ROMs before finding a ROM with good battery life on your phone.
I'm currently running cm 11 snapshot. 4.4.2

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by imNooby View Post
Err, but ever since running 4.3 I have been having Battery Drain Issues. Screen flickered around 10% every day, so that was one reason I wanted to root again.

So basically I'm running 4.3 normal but using a ICS rom?
Is that wat a boot loader means ?o.o

Guys that posted on my question, thanks for your help... I'm still a noob at this, and I know rooting is kewl and stuff, but im from a iOS background in which jailbreaks were so ez. lawl.

So things I learned from this so far (correct me if im wrong)

1. Downgrading from JB to ICS is definitely not worth it, teh chances of having a bricked phone is high
2. Bootloader is the firmware that is installed in ur device (Not ROM)
3. idk lol rooting is dangerous?
4. I need an external SD Card
5. Flashing Stock ROM is safe... i think.

Sorry for being such a noob, and thank you for helping me. If you guys could, pls help me just a little more as I struggle to find the right ROMs and stay somewhere safe and sound.

I want to stay on a stable, non glitchy non crashy ROM that has both a lot of battery and a ROM that has kewl features. I don't really see the difference between my stock 4.3 and the cm 11 4.4.2? o.o new things in settings? idk;; lol
I just want to find a ROM that has kewl features battery life non crashy non glitchy... I tried BeanStalk, but it didn't seem to work....

TL;DR: Ty for helping me so far, errr im too lazy to make TL;DR, just read above, it will only take like 1 minute l0l

Edit 1: Is it possible for my SGH i747 to get SNote? Like not the one it alrdy comes with but the one with WolframAlpha Integration. I really want it to do my math other than that, nothing atm...
I tried to install it, it just says it didn't work Application Not installed or something like that. with an X
To clarify as simply as possible ....

Your phone's firmware (software) system is composed of several aspects each serving a different purpose. These are placed on your phone's storage system in what are called 'partitions'. The bootloader is one of the partitions but a very important one in that it is the one that pulls together all the different firmware resources at booting to get your phone working. Therefore, if the bootloader is compromised, none of the other systems can work. This is what happens when a brick occurs. The ROM or system is the one that drives the operating system or basic commands you see on your phone. It is, therefore, possible to have an ICS ROM on the 4.3 JellyBean bootloader. However, as we've all advised, the benefits, if any, are not worth the strong risk of a brick.

Rooting is not dangerous in itself although any process that causes alteration to your phone's operating system is inherently risky. The real danger in rooting is the apps or utilities that may be enabled to run after rooting and the risk of introducing malware to your device. Rooting simply gives you greater control over your phone - pretty much analogous to jail-breaking on iOS.

You only need the external SD card if you are going to flash a zipped firmware ROM to your phone and your device is currently not working normally to enable you store files to the internal storage. I gathered from your initial post that the phone is not booting into system. If you can save files to your phone's internal storage, then you may not need an external card. Otherwise, you will need the card to flash zips.

Yes, Stock ROMs are inherently safer than custom ROMs. There are downsides to stock ROMs too - having to cope with bloatware and all that stuff. Also, there is always a risk in flashing anything even stock firmware.

Finally, if your concern is about battery drainage, like Audit advised, you may flash a custom ROM that uses much less storage and has gotten rid of the bloatware and redundant apps typical of stock ROMs. Before, doing this, however, check that your current battery itself isn't running out of juice, your charging cable is of good quality and you are not running battery guzzling apps, even in the background.