Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,899 Members 48,793 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Aluminum frame?

Tip us?

Kendosis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Aluminum frame?

Is the frame anodized aluminum? and does it peel?

I'm thinking about buying the black SP and changing the frame with the frame from the white model which I assume is pure aluminum? unless they coated it white

teddy74eva
Old
Thanks Meter 11
So:
1. The frame is just coated aluminum but it doesn't peel, coating holds very well.
2. If you want to change the frame, you must also change the screen (glass), they're connected (glued?) together

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to teddy74eva For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

true.bkd
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendosis View Post
Is the frame anodized aluminum? and does it peel?

I'm thinking about buying the black SP and changing the frame with the frame from the white model which I assume is pure aluminum? unless they coated it white
i think its not aluminum, umm i use it without any protection and here are some pics of the frame and the screen
[They are in the 7zip file , cuz they were too big and above the upload limit as a jpg file]
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Sliki.7z - [Click for QR Code] (2.60 MB, 36 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to true.bkd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wiidbzxt
Old
(Last edited by wiidbzxt; 20th May 2014 at 05:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
It is aluminum, but not anodized. The paint pells off after several months (5-6 months), like in my unit. I used to have a white model and the aluminum was painted too, just like my current black model. However, now that the paint is peeling off, I can confirm that below the painting, the aluminum is still black, but I guess it's just ugly black.
Current: Moto X XT1058

Previous phones: Moto V3 -> W350 -> W910 -> Samsung S5560 -> X10 -> G Note -> Xperia Mini Pro -> Xperia Pro -> Xperia P -> Xperia SP
The Following User Says Thank You to wiidbzxt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kendosis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiidbzxt View Post
It is aluminum, but not anodized. The paint fells off after several months (5-6 months), like in my unit. I used to have a white model and the aluminum was painted too, just like my current black model. However, now that the paint is peeling off, I can confirm that below the painting, the aluminum is still black, but I guess it's just ugly black.
Good to know, maybe I'll buy a 2nd frame and just remove all the paint.

wiidbzxt
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I don't know how great would that go. I personally wouldn't remove it, as we don't know how great the aluminum by itself could stand. Not to mention that removing the paint could damage the aluminum too.

However, the idea of having a black model with white aluminum sounds pretty awesome to me. I wanted to do something like that before. Maybe I'll do so in the future. Anyhow, good luck. Make sure to post results.
Current: Moto X XT1058

Previous phones: Moto V3 -> W350 -> W910 -> Samsung S5560 -> X10 -> G Note -> Xperia Mini Pro -> Xperia Pro -> Xperia P -> Xperia SP