Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S5 battery drain temporary workarounds

Tip us?

craigcrawford1988
Old
(Last edited by craigcrawford1988; 9th May 2014 at 10:53 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Galaxy S5 battery drain temporary workarounds

My Galaxy S5 was experiencing extreme battery drain, even while not in use and in my pocket.

After a bit of searching, it turns out I'm not alone. So I thought I'd share my potential fixes to this problem. Your solution may be different to others, so try each one until you find your battery works as good as it should, like mine now does.

Attached is what my battery drain looks like after these 3 tips, even during heavy use.

If you have any extra possible solution, then please post them.

Problem: Android 4.4.2 bug: When location is enabled it causes extreme battery drain. Because it doesn't let the phone sleep.
Solution: Turn off location services until a patch is released.

Problem: Quick Connect not allowing the phone to sleep.
Solution: Root your phone, and either delete or move the APK files: QuickConnect.apk & QuickConnectInteraction.apk from /system/app to somewhere else, such as a disabled folder.

Problem: Skype bug causing battery drain.
Solution: Uninstall Skype until a patch is released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-09-10-37-01.png
Views:	381
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2733996  
The Following User Says Thank You to craigcrawford1988 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p0tent
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hmmm that's strange, my S5 has the best battery life i've ever had on a phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to p0tent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nudawa
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I'm pretty sure you turn on the Always ready to connect in Quick Connect that causes thw device unable to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

craigcrawford1988
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudawa View Post
I'm pretty sure you turn on the Always ready to connect in Quick Connect that causes thw device unable to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
That wasn't working for me. No matter what I did, my battery was being demolished so that I had 50% 3 hours off-charge. Now I get so much more.

nubsgohard
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcrawford1988 View Post
My Galaxy S5 was experiencing extreme battery drain, even while not in use and in my pocket.

After a bit of searching, it turns out I'm not alone. So I thought I'd share my potential fixes to this problem. Your solution may be different to others, so try each one until you find your battery works as good as it should, like mine now does.

Attached is what my battery drain looks like after these 3 tips, even during heavy use.

If you have any extra possible solution, then please post them.

Problem: Android 4.4.2 bug: When location is enabled it causes extreme battery drain. Because it doesn't let the phone sleep.
Solution: Turn off location services until a patch is released.

Problem: Quick Connect not allowing the phone to sleep.
Solution: Root your phone, and either delete or move the APK files: QuickConnect.apk & QuickConnectInteraction.apk from /system/app to somewhere else, such as a disabled folder.

Problem: Skype bug causing battery drain.
Solution: Uninstall Skype until a patch is released.
Problem: Backlight of the touch keys uses some battery
Solution: Go to settings under Display and turn the backlights off

Problem: Screen uses more power lighting up brighter displays
Solution: Use a BLACK Lockscreen and homescreen

Problem: Air Gestures use valuable battery
Solution: Turn off all un-needed gestures and motions under settings of motions and gestures.

Credit: http://phandroid.com/2014/04/25/sams...-things-to-do/

aft_lizard01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was getting the battery drain and slow charging. Removed and reinstalled Google Search and that fixed the battery charging. I couldn't figure out the battery drain so I simply factory resetted it and it has been great since. I am at 30 hours since my last charge and still have 50% to go, with light use.

DirkStorck
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by aft_lizard01 View Post
I was getting the battery drain and slow charging. Removed and reinstalled Google Search and that fixed the battery charging. I couldn't figure out the battery drain so I simply factory resetted it and it has been great since. I am at 30 hours since my last charge and still have 50% to go, with light use.
You say removing the Google Search fixed you problem with the slow charging of your device ?!? I have noticed that my device charges very slow connected to an USB3.0 port...it only charges with 450mA.
Samsung SG5 (G900F) Rom: AllianceROM v4.1
Backup Phone:
Samsung SG3 Rom: temasek v82