Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Why can't I enable GPS without agreeing to some data downloads?

OP dandv

20th May 2014, 11:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 61

133 posts
Just got my Z2 and I'm practicing in offline/unregistered mode because I plan to use the phone without Internet during a trip abroad. Got OsmAnd installed with maps etc.

Problem is, I can't enable GPS without agreeing to some data collection on me:

Quote:

The device will download information about your current location to improve the performance

Agree/Disagree

"The device"? Is this some SONY crap, or Google's Android? How will performance be improved?

How do I disable this if I don't want my location sent to some random server? If I Disagree, GPS stays disabled.
20th May 2014, 02:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 65

208 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandv

Just got my Z2 and I'm practicing in offline/unregistered mode because I plan to use the phone without Internet during a trip abroad. Got OsmAnd installed with maps etc.

Problem is, I can't enable GPS without agreeing to some data collection on me:

"The device"? Is this some SONY crap, or Google's Android? How will performance be improved?

How do I disable this if I don't want my location sent to some random server? If I Disagree, GPS stays disabled.

In the Location menu in settings, set Location mode to "Device only", you'll notice if you select "High Accuracy", not only does it say it'll use Wi-Fi and mobile networks to determine location, it'll also have the notice about data usage pop up, Device only means it will solely use GPS to determine location.
20th May 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #3  
Flag Radelaide
Thanks Meter: 28

250 posts
More
Probably to help get the initial fix for your position?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
20th May 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 65

208 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilema

Probably to help get the initial fix for your position?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

Imagine High Accuracy mode as A-GPS, using data networks to download GPS coordinates as well as getting your location from IP address location and network proximaty etc

Device only wont use any data networks or cellular information either, try it out anyway, take your sim card out and turn wifi off and go for a walk, see if it works.
20th May 2014, 03:50 PM   |  #5  
Flag Fellbach
Thanks Meter: 48

137 posts
It just downloads agps data which helps, making the gps fix much faster. Since this download may charge your service fee, you get the warning. Its nothing about Sony, every phone with gps does that.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, privacy threat, surveillance
Previous Thread Next Thread