[Q] Sudden Battery Drop after restart

OP A|ex

20th May 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 28

880 posts
More
I noticed by S4 battery was getting bloated and was spinnable on the table, at this point the phone was getting hot and randomly restarting. I went out and purchased a new genuine battery, replaced it and the phone still restarts but not as often.

what I exp now is that the phone will reboot randomly and when it comes back up it will lose charge say drop from 50% down to 30% etc

The battery has been fully charged twice, while the phone was off and records battery stats perfectly fine until the restart.

Is the battery at fault or has the first battery caused some issues with the phones hardware?

I have tried to restore the rom and it still restarts. It seems to restart far more if I use wifi, Bluetooth or anything that requires the internet.

It worked perfectly fine before I noticed the battery bloating.

Is anyone able to help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-59-54.png
Views:	14
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2754054  
Last edited by A|ex; 20th May 2014 at 04:48 PM.
20th May 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 3,925

4,968 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by A|ex

I noticed by S4 battery was getting bloated and was spinnable on the table, at this point the phone was getting hot and randomly restarting. I went out and purchased a new genuine battery, replaced it and the phone still restarts but not as often.

what I exp now is that the phone will reboot randomly and when it comes back up it will lose charge say drop from 50% down to 30% etc

The battery has been fully charged twice, while the phone was off and records battery stats perfectly fine until the restart.

Is the battery at fault or has the first battery caused some issues with the phones hardware?

I have tried to restore the rom and it still restarts. It seems to restart far more if I use wifi, Bluetooth or anything that requires the internet.

It worked perfectly fine before I noticed the battery bloating.

Is anyone able to help?

Charge it fully.

Let it drain fully without restarting.

Recharge it again and see if the problem continues.

I doubt the old battery broke the phone. But the new battery MIGHT have a defective voltage meter.

My bet is that the charge % displayed after the restart is closer to accurate than the % shown before restart.

Are you 100% positive that this is a Samsung battery? And by 100% positive I mean you bought it in a reputable store? Not online? Not from some guy in a cart at the mall? Because even on sites like Amazon fake batteries are EVERYWHERE and are branded as genuine Samsung products.

That's not to say that otehr batteries are bad. There ar eplenty of quality 3rd party batteries available. But there are also plenty of cheap Chinese junk batteries with a genuine Samsung label on them.
20th May 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 28

880 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

Charge it fully.

Let it drain fully without restarting.

Recharge it again and see if the problem continues.

I doubt the old battery broke the phone. But the new battery MIGHT have a defective voltage meter.

My bet is that the charge % displayed after the restart is closer to accurate than the % shown before restart.

Are you 100% positive that this is a Samsung battery? And by 100% positive I mean you bought it in a reputable store? Not online? Not from some guy in a cart at the mall? Because even on sites like Amazon fake batteries are EVERYWHERE and are branded as genuine Samsung products.

That's not to say that otehr batteries are bad. There ar eplenty of quality 3rd party batteries available. But there are also plenty of cheap Chinese junk batteries with a genuine Samsung label on them.

yes I am 100% certain it is genuine as I am over in hong kong and know which batteries you are talking about on amazon.

it has been drained today and is now getting a full charge back up.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread