Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] AT&T nokia 920 on T-mobile

OP aundeadrockstar

14th May 2014, 06:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
So without thinking I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 for AT&T off of Ebay.
Now after doing some research I see I may not be able to get 3G/4G.

So I have two things to ask, would flashing another rom on my device help? (I really don't think it will but i'm going to ask to be safe)

Or is there anyway to get 3G/4G working without having to buy a new phone -_-
14th May 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,760

5,802 posts
More
T-Mobile obtained a bunch of bandwidth that AT&T was going to use, after the failed acquisition attempt. They've used that to roll out network coverage for AT&T's phones, as part of their plan to encourage people to switch. It's not as *extensive* of coverage as T-Mobile's native bands, but it's not terrible. You probably can't get LTE, but you can get 3G and HSPA+ (what TMoUS often calls 4G, especially before they had their own LTE).
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th May 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #3  
Flag Coon Rapids, MN
Thanks Meter: 4

9 posts
More
I know I get 4G and LTE on T-Mobile using an AT&T 920, but I think LTE only works in certain refarmed areas that use the right frequency. HSPA+ (4G) and 3G appear every once in while and work as well.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to HyperChrisX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

T-Mobile obtained a bunch of bandwidth that AT&T was going to use, after the failed acquisition attempt. They've used that to roll out network coverage for AT&T's phones, as part of their plan to encourage people to switch. It's not as *extensive* of coverage as T-Mobile's native bands, but it's not terrible. You probably can't get LTE, but you can get 3G and HSPA+ (what TMoUS often calls 4G, especially before they had their own LTE).

I can deal with that, I know back in the day when i unlocked my wife's Iphone 4 it could only get edge. but I was not sure if that problem was just because well it was an Iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperChrisX

I know I get 4G and LTE on T-Mobile using an AT&T 920, but I think LTE only works in certain refarmed areas that use the right frequency. HSPA+ (4G) and 3G appear every once in while and work as well.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

sweet thanks for the info.
16th May 2014, 12:57 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,760

5,802 posts
More
Yeah, old iPhones used AT&T's frequencies for 3G and T-Mobile uses different frequencies, so you couldn't use 3G. That's not much of a problem anymore, though; even phones that don't support T-Mobile's main bands can use their re-farmed AT&T bandwidth.
20th May 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #6  
Flag Opelika, AL
Thanks Meter: 49

456 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundeadrockstar

So without thinking I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 for AT&T off of Ebay.
Now after doing some research I see I may not be able to get 3G/4G.

So I have two things to ask, would flashing another rom on my device help? (I really don't think it will but i'm going to ask to be safe)

Or is there anyway to get 3G/4G working without having to buy a new phone -_-

T-Mobile refers to it as refarming; that is assuming you have coverage and that's a big if for many of us who are rural and you live in a town big enough to have it then if you're using an AT&T device subsidy unlocked or locked then you will be able to access HSPA+ and I'm not kidding when I say it's fast, faster than both AT&T and Verizon Wireless in Auburn-Opelika, AL and Columbus, GA where I hail from. HSPA+ is not a LTE or 4G technology so it will run on both AT&T and T-Mobile's 1900 band...if AT&T it's HSPA+ everywhere and where T-Mobile has refarmed 1900; it's 3G or 3.5G there too. Otherwise, it's 2G and I can safely tell you it sucks once you've enjoyed HSPA+ and worse T-Mobile has next to no coverage in many places outside most big cities and that's the wrap with T-Mobile.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread