Ask a question

No registration required

Sense 6 camera problem Over-aggressive white balance and saturation

OP gustav30

20th May 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162

850 posts
I've noticed since being updated to Sense 6 the white balance on the camera goes a bit out of control in the default Auto mode. Way over aggressive. I think it goes out of control once you start tapping to focus on something, rather than letting it auto focus.

NOTE: I'm using the Omni ov ov4688 sensor. I'm not sure if this affects the other One camera sensors out there.

I've noticed the over aggressiveness in good lighting and bad lighting. I'm curious if this is only affecting us Omni sensor users. This is a bit different than the green tint on the Omni sensor as it tends to throw any color out of wack, not just green. Its almost as of someone turned the saturation all the way up.

I found a quick work around in the Sense 6 camera app. Switch your camera to the Zoe camera and take a photo. I noticed that the white balance and saturation levels are completely normal in Zoe mode. (The new Zoe camera in Sense 6 allows you to take a regular photo if you don't hold the camera button down. In Sense 6 you have to hold the button down a bit longer for Zoe to kick in.)

Below are examples of first taking a photo in the regular camera app on Auto mode, then followed by Zoe mode. The first photo in each has unusual amounts of saturation and white balance issues. The Zoe camera samples appear normal.

Sense 6 Camera - Auto
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0671.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	2754074

Sense 6 Camera - Zoe

Name:	IMAG0670.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	2754075

Sense 6 Camera - Auto

Name:	IMAG0655.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	2754076

Sense 6 Camera - Zoe

Name:	IMAG0654.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	2754077

Sense 6 Camera - Auto

Name:	IMAG0673.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	2754079

Sense 6 Camera - Zoe

Name:	IMAG0672.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	2754081
20th May 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #2  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 25

159 posts
More
It appears I have the same issue - and I have the same sensor ov4668. Not sure if its a issue - maybe I can just turn down the white balance or saturation and save the setting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
20th May 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

850 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b99721

It appears I have the same issue - and I have the same sensor ov4668. Not sure if its a issue - maybe I can just turn down the white balance or saturation and save the setting.

Yeah - I tried making a custom camera app with saturation down a notch but it never comes out as good as just shooting with the Zoe camera. I don't think you can do anything with white balance.

I've also been trying to get the AWB_cal file from the M8 on my phone to see if that will make a difference, but so far no luck getting it copied over.
20th May 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 517

1,427 posts
ST sensor here, can't reproduce your issue. Zoes and regular stills from sense 6 camera totally identical. Dev Edition running the recent sense 6 ota, totally stock unrooted.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
20th May 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

850 posts
Must be limited to OV sensor users then. Price we pay for getting purple tint fixed!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread