Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,896 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock info

Tip us?

ILuvRice
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Stock info

Hello everyone, I am getting ready to buy a used m8 and am not 100% sure if it is stock. I am not familiar with HTC. They sent me a screen shot. The only thing I can tell is that it doesn't have the 20mb update yet. They said the only thing is rooted. I am wanted to know if its stock. I'd rather its stock and then I'll play with it. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my LG-D950 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400598980309.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2753984  

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,961
The screen shot isn't going to tell you anything. Those can be hacked to say whatever.

The phone isn't stock if its been rooted. The phone can never be truly returned to stock once its rooted. The bootloader has been unlocked (which HTC has a record of) unless the user happened to make firewater temp root work, and s-off without unlocking the bootloader, which I think is very unlikely.

A screenshot of the bootloader screen would be more useful, as it would tell you s-off or s-on, if the bootloader is locked, unlocked, relocked, and other details which are harder to change than within the OS.

Even then, if the bootloader says s-on, you would never know if the previous owner did s-off then returned to s-on, which still throws a security flag that can't be changed.

Or are you asking if its been returned to stock? Any phone can easily be returned to stock, now that the AT&T RUU is available.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ILuvRice
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks for the reply. I realize that once it rooted its not full stock. I was curious if its on stock rom. I wont know more until till I physically see the phone. I've had samsung, motorola, and lg so I'm not familiar with HTC. I'm trying to gather info to know what I'm looking for.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvRice View Post
I realize that once it rooted its not full stock. I was curious if its on stock rom.
The photo the seller sent doesn't have the right info to tell if its on the stock ROM. You want software number (which isn't on the photo), not build number.

But as I said, it doesn't matter. The phone is easily returned to the stock ROM with the RUU, or other means.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

ILuvRice
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Okay thanks.