Post Reply

[Q] Samsung Repair w/ 0X1 & Custom rom?

OP nxneko

20th May 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #1  
nxneko's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 36
 
177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
I had a bad day took a bath and...i fell asleep so the phones corner (were headset plug is) got dipped into the warm tub. Luckly the phone still responds there is no major damage and I see...NO damage or proof water got inside. All waterseals were not voided... it just glitches out on screen and it scares me.

unfortunately its on 4.4.2 kitkatkiller & 0x1 does anyone know if samsung will still fix it or replace it?
20th May 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #2  
topherk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 456
 
708 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxneko

I had a bad day took a bath and...i fell asleep so the phones corner (were headset plug is) got dipped into the warm tub. Luckly the phone still responds there is no major damage and I see...NO damage or proof water got inside. All waterseals were not voided... it just glitches out on screen and it scares me.

unfortunately its on 4.4.2 kitkatkiller & 0x1 does anyone know if samsung will still fix it or replace it?

One thing you can try is unplugging the battery and leaving the phone in a jar of rice overnight. That has been known to suck the water out of electronics and may help with the glitchy screen. I doubt it'll solve the problem, but it's worth a shot.

As a rule of thumb, I don't recommend that people try to do the Samsung Warranty on their own mess-ups. To quote their warranty website:

Quote:

Warranty Conditions
...
2. SAMSUNG will repair during its warranty period any product that malfunctions under normal operation, used according to the user manual instructions and the purpose they were designed for.
...
Situations that void this Warranty Coverage
...
6. Damage to the product caused by improper operation or use, by not following user manual instructions or defects caused by external sources, impact, paint cosmetic damage in general, scratches, fissures, evidence of residues of water, sweat or food inside the unit.
...
9. Damage to the product caused by loss or accident such as fire, voltage fluctuations, vandalism, water, sand insects or similar.
...

The warranty doesn't cover water damage or user error. It only covers manufacturer defects or repairs caused by "normal" activities.

Yes, your water stickers aren't betraying the fact that your phone has water damage, but the fact of the matter is that you are, effectively, trying to cheat your way into a free, refurbished phone (on Samsung's dime).

I could go on and on about these types of practices (in fact, I have), but I'm not going to today. I'll just end with a quote that I find applicable to this situation:

Quote:

“The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none.” -Thomas Carlyle

20th May 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #3  
nxneko's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 36
 
177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topherk

One thing you can try is unplugging the battery and leaving the phone in a jar of rice overnight. That has been known to suck the water out of electronics and may help with the glitchy screen. I doubt it'll solve the problem, but it's worth a shot.

As a rule of thumb, I don't recommend that people try to do the Samsung Warranty on their own mess-ups. To quote their warranty website:



The warranty doesn't cover water damage or user error. It only covers manufacturer defects or repairs caused by "normal" activities.

Yes, your water stickers aren't betraying the fact that your phone has water damage, but the fact of the matter is that you are, effectively, trying to cheat your way into a free, refurbished phone (on Samsung's dime).

I could go on and on about these types of practices (in fact, I have), but I'm not going to today. I'll just end with a quote that I find applicable to this situation:

I was not hoping to get a fix on samsungs dime since I am well aware its in BER status now, it would be a costly fix but maybe worth it over a new N3 though sometimes BER status devices do go over the MSRP for repair cost...I also heard sprint can do repairs though and charges a fee ontop of it for convenience...but I have no idea if anything else is damaged with the phone.
20th May 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #4  
topherk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 456
 
708 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxneko

I was not hoping to get a fix on samsungs dime since I am well aware its in BER status now, it would be a costly fix but maybe worth it over a new N3 though sometimes BER status devices do go over the MSRP for repair cost...I also heard sprint can do repairs though and charges a fee ontop of it for convenience...but I have no idea if anything else is damaged with the phone.

I'm not sure what BER status is, but if you're willing to pay for the repairs, then my last post was not applicable.

Also, if you're willing to pay for the repairs, Samsung (or Sprint) will be able to fix your phone, regardless of what ROM you have. As far as if it'll be less costly than a new phone, I would expect so, but I can't say how much it'd be.

I still recommend the rice trick and see if that helps.
20th May 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #5  
nxneko's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 36
 
177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topherk

I'm not sure what BER status is, but if you're willing to pay for the repairs, then my last post was not applicable.

Also, if you're willing to pay for the repairs, Samsung (or Sprint) will be able to fix your phone, regardless of what ROM you have. As far as if it'll be less costly than a new phone, I would expect so, but I can't say how much it'd be.

I still recommend the rice trick and see if that helps.

BER status is what samsung marks devices that have been repaired by 3rd party companies or opened by the user = Beyond Economic Repair. Which means you pay a huge out of pocket premium to the fix versus normal servicing.

I did not have TEP on sprint but the lady added it for me even though I was 35 days into plan and i purchased this phone off swappa, so repair will be free (i think?) unless it needs to be claimed which is 50~200 apparently...either way cheaper then BER service from sammy itself.

and to be a good girl, I wet a cotton swab and activated the water damage indicator on battery so they know its water damaged, even though I wasnt about to because they threw me to curb over intl. use...
20th May 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011

Just do a claim on http://phoneclaim.com/sprint the deductible would be 200 just say you dropped it in water and don't say anything about it being rooted to them. And they will send you a new one next day no problem

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
20th May 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #7  
nxneko's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 36
 
177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivankovich

Just do a claim on http://phoneclaim.com/sprint the deductible would be 200 just say you dropped it in water and don't say anything about it being rooted to them. And they will send you a new one next day no problem

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I took it to local store instead. Phone decided to be perfectly functional, even the guy was like "oh nice rom but how do you see stuff?" but right when I was walking out the phones vibrator turned on. and did not stop, you tap it it turns off you tap it again it turns back on....so they have it at the moment.


edit: they called me said there was no internal damage, etc only some "debris?" and he blew it out and the phones been working fine. So my butt got saved on this one....maybe.
Last edited by nxneko; 20th May 2014 at 09:18 PM.
20th May 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxneko

I took it to local store instead. Phone decided to be perfectly functional, even the guy was like "oh nice rom but how do you see stuff?" but right when I was walking out the phones vibrator turned on. and did not stop, you tap it it turns off you tap it again it turns back on....so they have it at the moment.


edit: they called me said there was no internal damage, etc only some "debris?" and he blew it out and the phones been working fine. So my butt got saved on this one....maybe.

Good! PM me if you have questions, and good luck

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Sprint Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank