Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,840 Members 40,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot OTA update Sense 6 - TMOB M7

Tip us?

LAChris67
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cannot OTA update Sense 6 - TMOB M7

Hello -- I cannot do the T-Mobile (USA) Sense 6 for M7 update OTA. I believe the problem was the custom recovery (TW) which I had, so I flashed a variety of stock recoveries (4.20.707.7, 4.19.401.11, 4.06.1540.2). My telephone is software version: 4.19.531.10 which I cannot find a stock recovery for. The update downloads, reboots, then the progress bar goes about half-way before a red-triangle appears. Not sure what else I need to do to the phone. I only have OTA ROMs on the phone, S-OFF and the device is rooted. Any one with any experience with this and how did you resolve? Many thanks in advance!

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 1,053

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAChris67 View Post
Hello -- I cannot do the T-Mobile (USA) Sense 6 for M7 update OTA. I believe the problem was the custom recovery (TW) which I had, so I flashed a variety of stock recoveries (4.20.707.7, 4.19.401.11, 4.06.1540.2). My telephone is software version: 4.19.531.10 which I cannot find a stock recovery for. The update downloads, reboots, then the progress bar goes about half-way before a red-triangle appears. Not sure what else I need to do to the phone. I only have OTA ROMs on the phone, S-OFF and the device is rooted. Any one with any experience with this and how did you resolve? Many thanks in advance!
The ota update might fails because of bad recovery installed or because the md5 checksum fails because of some missing or modified /system files or missing preloaded apps like flashlight, calculator etc etc that get wiped during bootloader unlock. Since your phone is s-off, you could run the 3.24.531.3 ruu.zip (don't s-on and don't relock bootloader) and apply each ota updates from 3.24.531.3 to 5.xx.531.x,
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HTC_One_M8_91
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Ok, I have one really nooby question. Are T-Mobile USA and T-Mobile Germany branded phones the same? Because my phone is T-Mobile Germany, and I've seen that for T-Mobile branded phones Sense 6 update is out, so I'm wondering if that's for all phones or just USA.

Thank you

scorror
Old
Thanks Meter 7
It's for T-Mobile USA for now. Europe roll out would soon occur.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Fuzi0719
Old
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
T-Mobile makes the OTA updates not work with ANY modification (other than S-OFF), so even if you relock the bootloader and install the stock recovery, the OTA update will fail. I've even tried to unroot, but it still fails. Only way to update is to install the RUU, either the exe or the zip. I just installed the last ruu.zip that I could find (3.24.531.3) then let it do the OTA update to 4.19.531.10, reboot, then do the OTA update to 5.14.531.1. A pain in the ass, but after getting everything restored and set up, it works and looks great.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje334 View Post
Ok, I have one really nooby question. Are T-Mobile USA and T-Mobile Germany branded phones the same? Because my phone is T-Mobile Germany, and I've seen that for T-Mobile branded phones Sense 6 update is out, so I'm wondering if that's for all phones or just USA.

Thank you
Just the USA.
Phone: HTC One Silver 32GB (T-Mobile)
ROM: HTC-T-Mobile stock 4.4.2/Sense 6.0 (rooted/S-OFF/Unlocked bootloader)
Kernel: ElementalX 14.12

Tablet: Nook Tablet 16GB
ROM: CM 11-M9
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzi0719 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HTC_One_M8_91
Old
Thanks Meter 21
So I'm still stucked with 4.3. Yes, they also removed 4.4 and Sense 5.5 update.

LAChris67
Old
(Last edited by LAChris67; 19th May 2014 at 05:03 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
The ota update might fails because of bad recovery installed or because the md5 checksum fails because of some missing or modified /system files or missing preloaded apps like flashlight, calculator etc etc that get wiped during bootloader unlock. Since your phone is s-off, you could run the 3.24.531.3 ruu.zip (don't s-on and don't relock bootloader) and apply each ota updates from 3.24.531.3 to 5.xx.531.x,
Thanks for the help. This took half a day to resolve. I used Guru Reset to get things going. I had to go from RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_TMOUS_1.27.531.11_Radio_4A.17.3250 .20_10.40.1150.04_release_324846_signed_2 and work my way up to v3 (via RUU) and then started to get the OTA v4 and v5. I could not immediately go to installing the v3 (tried a couple) RUUs. Also, I think part of my own personal problem was downloading the ZIP or the EXE for the v3 RUU was becoming corrupt each time (different file sizes, etc). I know my network is solid, but this was a real problem and I could never get a decent download of an RUU for htc1guru (tried different browsers, etc too).

Thanks for the help! I'm glad I got the help and the new upgrade --- seems very nice. And, thanks too to Titanium Backup -- it quickly got a lot of my user data back in place being I had to start from scratch.

Fuzi0719
Old
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
Thanks for the help. This took half a day to resolve. I used Guru Reset to get things going. I had to go from RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_TMOUS_1.27.531.11_Radio_4A.17.3250 .20_10.40.1150.04_release_324846_signed_2 and work my way up to v3 (via RUU) and then started to get the OTA v4 and v5. I could not immediately go to installing the v3 (tried a couple) RUUs. Also, I think part of my own personal problem was downloading the ZIP or the EXE for the v3 RUU was becoming corrupt each time (different file sizes, etc). I know my network is solid, but this was a real problem and I could never get a decent download of an RUU for htc1guru (tried different browsers, etc too).

Thanks for the help! I'm glad I got the help and the new upgrade --- seems very nice. And, thanks too to Titanium Backup -- it quickly got a lot of my user data back in place being I had to start from scratch.
Were you trying to download the RUU using the phone? I have found in the past that can corrupt the files, not sure why. I located the RUU zip for the 3.14.531.3 release in a post here on XDA (a collection of RUUs from various sources). I prefer using the zip instead of the exe (the zip is less sensitive, the exe can check too many things, making it fail more often). Once the 3.14 RUU was applied, I could then do the OTA for the 4.19 and the 5.14 releases easily. Then I re-unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and then rooted it.
Phone: HTC One Silver 32GB (T-Mobile)
ROM: HTC-T-Mobile stock 4.4.2/Sense 6.0 (rooted/S-OFF/Unlocked bootloader)
Kernel: ElementalX 14.12

Tablet: Nook Tablet 16GB
ROM: CM 11-M9
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzi0719 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LAChris67
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzi0719 View Post
Were you trying to download the RUU using the phone? I have found in the past that can corrupt the files, not sure why. I located the RUU zip for the 3.14.531.3 release in a post here on XDA (a collection of RUUs from various sources). I prefer using the zip instead of the exe (the zip is less sensitive, the exe can check too many things, making it fail more often). Once the 3.14 RUU was applied, I could then do the OTA for the 4.19 and the 5.14 releases easily. Then I re-unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and then rooted it.
Thanks Fuzi -- yeah, I was downloading on the PC. I tried it numerous times. I agree with you and tried going with the ZIP. All times, the file was coming up in different sizes and could not extract, but I finally got it to work. Once I got the download going for the first one, I basically followed what you said here and it worked. Thanks much again.