Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,506 Members 40,123 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to define Input Method?

Tip us?

asianrage
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Default How to define Input Method?

The Google Keyboard is what I like to use. It's better than the HTC KB in many ways. But every time I have to type in something, the HTC keyboard pops up instead. Is there a way that I can setup the Google Keyboard to be the default input method EVERYTIME?

shortstuff_mt
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrage View Post
The Google Keyboard is what I like to use. It's better than the HTC KB in many ways. But every time I have to type in something, the HTC keyboard pops up instead. Is there a way that I can setup the Google Keyboard to be the default input method EVERYTIME?
What ROM are you running? Once you change the keyboard it should stay until you change it again to something else. You can also go to Settings->Language & keyboard and disable all but the Google keyboard if that's the only one you intend to use.

asianrage
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff_mt View Post
What ROM are you running? Once you change the keyboard it should stay until you change it again to something else. You can also go to Settings->Language & keyboard and disable all but the Google keyboard if that's the only one you intend to use.
I'm running Skyfall. There isn't an option to turn off or disable Sense input.

shortstuff_mt
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrage View Post
I'm running Skyfall. There isn't an option to turn off or disable Sense input.
I don't know why picking a different keyboard wouldn't stick. I don't use the Sense keyboard either, but all I do is choose my keyboard as the default and it never switches back. I'm running CleanROM right now, but I used the same setup when I was running Skyfall. I guess you could use a file explorer and rename the HTC_IME.apk file to HTC_IME.apk.bkp in the /system/priv-app folder if you really want to get rid of the Sense keyboard. You shouldn't have to do that, though. Skyfall works just like it should on Android to switch input methods. You just go to the "Choose input method" from the notification bar when the keyboard is up and choose your input method. It always stuck when I selected a different keyboard when running Skyfall.