[HTC TUT] Fix error "writing 'recovery'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)" in Fastboot
Hello all, I recently experienced a Fastboot error when I tried to flash the TWRP recovery for my device.
The error said,
writing 'recovery'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)
Today I will be showing you how I fixed that error.
First of all, you will need:
- a fastboot firmware package for your device (which will be called firmware.zip for this tutorial).
- your custom recovery of choice (which will be called customrecovery.img for this tutorial)
- a Windows, Linux, or I *believe* Mac PC
- Fastboot installed and working on said PC
- knowledge of zipping/unzipping files and renaming files
Now, for the fun part!
PREPARING YOUR FILES
1. Create a new folder and name it something you will remember and recognize.
2. Open your firmware.zip. There should be a file called "android-info.txt", copy that and put it in the folder you just created.
3. Next, you will need to take your recovery. Rename it to "recovery.img" (all lowercase, btw), and put it in the folder with the android-info.txt.
4. Highlight the two files (android-info.txt and recovery.img) and zip them up as a .zip file. Name it whatever you'd like. For the purposes of this tutorial, I will be calling it "recov.zip"
FLASHING THE FILES
1. Put your device into Fastboot mode
2. Open cmd/terminal/etc. and cd to the folder with recov.zip.
3. in cmd/terminal, run the following command:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
4. now you should be on an HTC screen with "HTC" in pretty silver letters
5. run the following command:
fastboot flash zip recov.zip
(but with your zip name)
6. You should get a success message and you should be able to reboot in your custom recovery.
(if this tutorial helped you please thank this topic!)